Jeremiah's Blog

Introductions are overrated.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities

It was around 4 a.m. and I was asleep in the Brackenridge emergency waiting room. It had been quite a night. Hell, I could say now that it was too much of a night. Because my friend from Louisiana wasnt conscious to give consent, the great Don Juan, Tex, and I were all passed out in chairs from pure exhaustion. We didnt want to leave our friend there, so we were going to wait it out and hope for good news.
All of a sudden I was shaken awake by two police officers in the waiting room. Ill admit, I was pretty worried at that point. Every possible outcome of that situation went through my head in the course of a second.
Hey boy, look over there. Youre on T.V.
I guess I hadnt thought of every one.

I always seem to find myself in those kinds of situations; its become a staple of what Ive come to call normal, every-day events. Before I continue on, I shouldnt be so rude as far as first blog posts go.

Im Jeremiah. Im a freshman at the University of Texas in Austin from a place on the coast known as tha wata. I was chosen to be one of the student bloggers for the university with the purpose of blogging about my experience here. Im a freshman philosophy major who is thinking about getting either an astronomy or government degree with the philosophy. I have a while to figure that out though. Everything else about me is in the profile link to the side if you want to know more in that more survey sort of area.

Aside from the story above, Im on my way back home in the car with The Master and Russelio and two dogs, one which is above me. Ive had an interesting two months so far. I do believe I might just be living in one of the greatest cities on the planet, and she hath given me her blessings.

So now lets go back to the story. Where did all that begin? Well, it all started around 10 a.m. that day when Don Juan, Tex, Billy, Ben, and I headed downtown to counter-protest the Nazis. These boys had come all the way from Lake Charles, Louisiana and San Marcus to come to this event.

Don Juan

Billy

Tex

Me

We got there just as the caravan of anarchists, veterans, socialists, conservatives, and people of ever creed headed to the capitol. We were followed and video taped by police. That was nice of them.
The March
Our chants were loud and clear -No Nazi, No KKK, No Fascist USA! to When I say Nazi, you say out! Nazi! Out! the entire march to the capitol.

About 20 minutes after we all got there, the Nazis showed up. It was like flaunting meat in front of 400 starved pittbulls. It was bad enough to where the state had state troopers who would normally be out giving me a speeding ticket decked out in full-on riot gear.
The Riot Police Appear
I made friends with the riot guy infront of me the whole time. He was nice. He couldnt directly talk to me but in between chants he laughed at my jokes.

So eventually the Nazis left and the crowd encircled the entire capitol. Oddly enough I found myself at the head of a contingent of black bloc anarchists racing around all the known underground exits of the capitol looking for the Nazis. As it turned out, the police had escorted the Nazis underground all the way to where they parked. From here, disappointment ensued. There was something peculiar though, when we were running around. I saw a bride taking bridal photos and I got all the anarchists to yell CONGRATULATIONS! to her since we postponed her shot. Youll have to forgive me as I was running all over the place I dont have video or pictures of that part, but I did get a video of the newly weds walking out the front down our militant line.

It didnt hit me that this woman wasnt just having her pictures taken, they actually got married inside the capitol unknowningly during a giant anti-nazi protest outside. As we were all standing around talking to the media, this groom and bride came out. Well we gave them a surprise and a proper walk down our asile.
The Newlyweds
To tie it all together, we fought long and we fought hard. That night when those police woke me up in the hospital waiting room, it turns out we had all be caught on local T.V., right up in the front lines.

But what about Billy in the hospital? What happened to him? Did he die? Was he all right in the end? Well yes, but all that is another story for another time.

Overall, that was just one notable event of many that happened. I dont have enough room to describe the hellfire and brimstone evangelicals that decided to pay a visit to the fountain near the south mall for two days. I made their (site even though I have a good hunch that they dont like my philosophy or me too terribly much.

In the end, the point of this post was to not tell one particular story out of many, but illustrate the point that static, small town life ceases to exist here. Everyday there is something new, something exciting, and something wonderful waiting for each person here on this campus when they fall out of bed in the mornings. In high school, I was constantly told These are the best four years of your life. Enjoy it while it lasts. I do believe they lied simply because I just started the next 4 (or 5 depending on who you are) and it has already proven that the next four will be, by far, the best years of my life.

Love,
Jeremiah

December 2, 2006 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Jeremiah