Michelle's Blog

Just so you know. . .

I decided to show you another side of the campus. . .on ice!! Also, I want to fill you in on life as a liberal arts- government major at the University of Texas at Austin.

How did add drop go you might ask?

Well, I tried to play the odds. However, the odds ended up playing me. I did not get into the class that I was waiting for, but I am still happy with my schedule.

Lesson 4- In the end, everything works out as it should.

Ice really does make everything nice. Take a look at the campus wrapped in a little cold weather.

UT on ICE

Classes

One of the many life debates you will hear is that a liberal arts degree is “useless” or “not hard.”

Lesson 5- Don’t judge anything before you understand it.

Let me tell you about my classes and my reading lists.

Genocide
I realize this seems like a very depressing class to attend. However, you have to confront the problems of our world to learn the solutions and prevent them from happening again.

Lesson 6- The world is a scary place, but if you can’t face it, how can you change it?

Reading list

NEIGHBORS: THE DESTRUCTION OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY

PROBLEM FROM HELL

RAPE OF NANKING

UNCONQUERABLE NATION: KNOWING OUR ENEMY…

WHY NOT KILL THEM ALL?

Suicide Terrorism
Yes, I am taking some very intense courses this semester. I wanted to learn more about this topic from a scholar’s view. I know what the newspapers say, but I want to hear what the political scientists have to say. I am strong believer that we need to educate ourselves on everything out there – the people, the ideas, and the views.

Reading list

DYING TO KILL

DYING TO WIN

INSIDE TERRORISM

TERRORISM & HOMELAND

UNDERSTANDING TERROR NETWORKS

Professional Communications Skills

The first class I took in Communication Studies was amazing! I learned everything ranging from charisma to fighting. Once I heard about this class, I knew I had to take it because I wanted to brush up on my public speaking skills and learn something I knew that I would always use. Trust me. As someone who’s done various internships, I have learned that the ability to speak and/or write well can give you the greatest advantage.

Reading list

PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS

Lesson 7- No matter what job you have, you will have to deal with people. Dealing with people includes talking to them.

Research on the US Congress
Yes, I am an undergraduate student who is about to do research on our government. How did such an opportunity arise? Simple. I went to class. Only at the University of Texas at Austin could you find so many avenues to shine and pursue things you love. My reading is basically anything/everything my professor gives me. I could not be more excited.

So, I may not be building bridges or curing diseases. . . according to other people. I think I’m working and studying just as hard to contribute to society as much as the engineers and the doctors. I am building bridges between cultures and generations to one day never see the problems we are facing today. I am curing diseases like ignorance, apathy, and hatred. I am going to serve the people. Because without people in society, there would be no people to cross those bridges or cure those diseases.

That’s how the semester is looking. Drop a line if you ever want to know anything else.

Until next time,

Michelle

January 26, 2007 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Michelle