Michelle's Blog

Applications and more applications

Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind. ~Seneca

Background
I have never studied abroad. . .which every student should study abroad at least once. Everyone I know adored their experience.

I wanted to do that before I left UT. However, I thought a semester in a foreign country would be too much and too fast for me. So, I searched for a middle ground. Perhaps, study abroad during a summer semester. Then, I ended up with other commitments.

What was I to do? I heard about another great program only UT offers. It’s called the Bill Archer Program- UT in DC

1. Live and intern in Washington D.C.
  2. Live in a house with UT students
  3. Fly in professors to lecture for classes
  4. . . .does not affect your in residence hours

Small note
As you get closer to graduation, UT requires that you spend your last 30 hours at UT.

I fell in love with the program. The deadline was last week, and I have been working on my application since December. Really, I loved it that much.

Any program you apply for in college will need a variety of things-
here’s what this program wanted

1.Resume

2.Official Transcript

3.Personal Statement: Write an original personal statement (1-2 pages, double-spaced, 12-point font, one-inch margins). Please address the question: Why is this program suited for your course of study and what will be your unique contribution to the program? In short, why do you want to go to D.C., and why should we choose you?

4.Essay: Write a short essay (maximum of three pages, double-spaced, 12-point font, one-inch margins) on the following topic:

Pick one important domestic or foreign policy issue facing our nation. Identify the audience to whom your essay is targeted and briefly explain the issue, why you think it is important, and how you think it should be addressed. Examples of an audience include: the U.S. Congress, the United Nations Security Council, the State Board of Education, or any national or international group, which may have the ability to impact the policy.

Essay must include MLA formatted citations.

5.Letters of Recommendation: Provide us with three letters of recommendation, two of which must be from UT professors (NOT teaching assistants or lecturers). The letters should address your academic skills as well as qualities such as responsibility, analytic ability, leadership, maturity and your ability to work well with others. Letters should be addressed to the Archer Selection Committee.

6.List of Potential Internships: Research and compile a list of three potential internship sites in Washington, D.C. that would meet your personal and professional goals. Additionally, write a paragraph for each explaining why youve chosen them and how you would benefit from interning there as an Archer Fellow.

It was a lot of work, but I’m really proud of the application I submitted. All I can do now is wait. . .

photo of Michelle