Chrystal's Blog

The Good and The Bad

I am so SICK of these standardized tests!

I am about to register to take the FE Exam and it makes me sad. I suppose I should explain what that is. So as you know I will be graduating in May with a bachelors degree in computer engineering. However, if you want to do things like engineering consulting in the future, you must have your Professional Engineers license. Some other jobs also request that you have your PE license. The process to get this PE license is to first take the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Exam and then work for a number of years and then take the PE Exam. :( So I am going to be taking the 8 HOUR LONG exam in mid-April! The hard thing about this test is that it involves other engineering disciplines besides electrical and computer engineering. So to sum up my rambling…its going to take a lot of studying!

On to less depressing thoughts, I am happy because I just received funding to send my high students (National Society of Black Engineers Jr. Club) to our NSBE National Convention in Columbus, Ohio. I think since I have been at UT I have been to more than 10 NSBE conferences! The National Convention is always the best because its like 5 days long of educational fun. I just love seeing educated black (and a few other races) individuals coming together for a common goal. To increase the number of culturally responsible black engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the community. Then at night there is so much fun. A party every night, gospel shows, comedy shows, talent shows, and concerts. Then theres the fact that there are hundreds of corporate recruiters coming to OUR conference JUST to recruit us! Man, I love NSBE!

As for my pathetic Austin social life…hmmm…not much is going on. I shall be going to Houston AGAIN this weekend. I mean, sorry to all the Austin lovers (I truly think we should NOT Keep Austin Weird…but whatever), but after a while 6th street gets SO old!!!! However, there is one weekend of every year when Austin becomes the best place to be in Texas…and that is Texas Relays! So for those of you who JUST dont know…The first weekend of April is Texas Relay Weekend, which hosts Texass biggest track meet. When you are not at the races, there are so many parties, picnics, and other forms of entertainment to get into. The one downfall is that the downtown streets will be just as packed as it is inside the clubs (hint if you see a group of people running, follow them); its like Mardi Gras (without the flashing and beads). This weekend EVERYBODY comes to Austin, and every year about 15 people end up crashing at my place. Sometimes I think I just bear the spring semester just to get to Texas relays!

Well until Relays…I need to get back to my studies!
Poodles!

photo of Chrystal