Michelle's Blog

It’s official.

I got in!!! I am an Archer Fellow. I will be leaving for Washington D.C. in August.

There are not enough words to express the pure joy I feel. There’s something about seeing a great new opportunity right in front of you. It’s exciting, overwhelming, and heartbreaking all at the same time.

EXCITING
A new place, a new time, a new chance to learn and grow- how can you not be excited over something like that? I get to live in one of the most influential cities in the world. I will be there with fellow UT system students. All of us with unique goals and aspirations. It’s awe inspiring when you realize the chance this gives all of us

OVERWHELMING
I will be a thousands of miles from home. This is not a weekend trip with friends. This will be a time where I am in a different state from my family for about 4 months. I will be living in a house with complete strangers. I will live in a city that has its own dynamic. I will be an outsider. It’s a little intimidating, but we can only grow by leaving our comfort zone. . .or in this case- home state.

HEARTBREAKING
Every new beginning comes with an end. As I begin to make preparations to complete my last semester at UT, I realize this is my last semester at UT. All of the familiar faces and places will be left behind. I will not see the people that I’ve grown to love. I usually pass them by as I walk to class. Once I’m in D.C., I will not see them as I walk the streets. I will not know all the shortcuts to places or good food. I will have to relearn all of it again. I will have to discover new people, new places, and new things.

All of this reminds you. You can never stop growing because you never stop moving in life.

When you leave here, don’t forget why you came.
~Adlai Stevenson (in a speech to college graduates)

Signing off with a lighthearted smile on my face,

Michelle

photo of Michelle