Caitlin's Blog

South by Southwicked!

South by Southwest this year was absolutely rockin’. Instead of going day-by-day as I had initially intended, I’m going to mention some of my favorite moments!I was able to hang out with my London singer-songwriter pal Jason Soudah, who I met at last year’s convention. He’s super sweet and quite talented, and I think there are big things in his future.

Jason and I are goobers. We’re downtown on Congress here, waiting for the bus:)

I got to meet up with Teitur 3 times; he promised me a song called “Amanda’s Dream” (one of my all-time favorites of his) on my 20th Birthday, which was Friday the 16th of March, but then forgot to sing it:( It’s OK though, I still love him and he’s still brilliant! Plus. . .how often does a rockstar tell you happy birthday, in person?! Anyway. I also met up with Tom Brousseau, one of my new discoveries from SxSW. He was SUPER nice, ridiculously talented (think Jeff Buckley meets Jason Mraz) and very tall. I’m hoping to score an interview with him in the future!

My other HUGE new discovery was one of my new favorites: Peter, Bjorn and John. They’re a Swedish trio with intensely powerful pop-rock sensibilities. The lead singer’s voice reminds me a little of John Lennon. I caught them 3 times (they played 7 over the whole convention. . .what busy guys!!!) Bjorn, the bass player, even had his bass stolen at one point!!! I hope they found it again:( But they were great, and I met up with Peter after one of the performances and he was very kind as well. Some of my favorites who I caught on purpose were the ever-adorable, super-awesome Sondre Lerche, who I interviewed a few weeks back for the Daily Texan. I never got to meet up with him over the conference as promised, because he was always running all over the place! Also, I discovered (when I tried desperately to catch him at a day show) that if you are not 21, it’s tough to get into most places. My senior year, when I return to SxSW, I will go EVERYWHERE and NEVER sleep!!

Anyway. I also caught the gorgeously soulful Paolo Nutini. He’s going to be huge, I am sure of it. Fall in love now, so you can say “I knew him when!” I met him at the Austin City Limits festival, and was hoping to catch him again after his set at Stubb’s, but no luck. Still, I got to watch him climb onto his tour bus before the show started, so at least there was a sighting;) It’s crazy to see so many rockers and rollers walking the streets of downtown Austin. . .how often do I get to yell, “Hey, Teitur!” as the Faroe Islander walks unawares down 6th? Not too often. Other favorites were Ane Brun, Rosie Thomas, and the Small Sins.

My I’ll-never-have-this-chance-again moments included listening to Pete Townshend and Rickie Lee Jones speak from 10 feet away, and listening to Booker T and the MGs, William Bell and Isaac Hayes sing during the Stax Records showcase. SO COOL!!! Now, I’m older (20!) and wiser and kind of having a hard time getting in the mindset that I have class tomorrow. Can I just continue listening to live music for the rest of my life? Rock on, friends. I leave you with a few more pictures.

Sondre Lerche! I was right by the stage for his showcase with the Small Sins.
Isaac Hayes!
Peter from Peter, Bjorn and John! This was at the DirecTV performance. . .I was on the tube:)
My boyfriend Scott, waiting with me for Peter, Bjorn and John to perform on my birthday!
The incredible Paolo Nutini. I adore him a little, can you tell?
photo of Caitlin