Michelle's Blog

A Day of Tragedy. . .

Monday- April 16, 2007

It was a day of great sadness and tragedy. There was a shooting at Virginia Tech. I realize it’s all over the news, but I want to give the perspective of a UT student.

UT Tower darkened in remembrance for Virginia Tech

This tragedy affects UT a great deal because we also underwent a tragedy of violence in the past. I use the word tragedy over and over because that’s the only word that really captures everything– the emotions, effects, and events.

The moment the news broke, students all over the campus immediately responded with fear and concern for fellow students. We may all go to different schools and enjoy rivalries, but when it comes down to it, we’re all people.

Longhorns began putting together donations and events to do whatever we could to help them. It’s moments like these where you realize the humanity of humans. In times of despair, we reach out to one another with hope.

I also hope that people do not act out in hatred. As an Asian American, I am concerned about other Asian and Asian Americans who may be targeted in response to this tragedy. This tragedy was performed by an individual, not a people.

We are all in a state of sadness now.

photo of Michelle