Caitlin's Blog

Rice = yum!

Hey all. I haven’t felt like I’ve had much to say recently, so apologies for a semi-lack of postage. The year is quickly winding down, and the piles of stuff I need to do are a little daunting. I realized recently that I won’t really have much of a “break” this summer; my last (and only) final exam is on the LAST day of finals, and then I have less than a week before I’m supposed to be back at Jester, finishing up Orientation Advisor training. That might sound awful, but being an OA is SO much fun that I probably won’t even notice my summer fly by. Most of all, I want to try to be healthier this summer. As an OA last year, I was still very much struggling with the earliest stages of my eating disorder, so I tended to gravitate towards foods that weren’t very good for me. Thus, I’m always looking for good, healthy foods that I can make in a dorm room. So, last night at HEB, I discovered. . .MICROWAVABLE RICE! I can’t explain how excited I am. As a vegan, food options can sometimes be limited, and rice is SUCH a staple food because I can turn it into almost anything. For now, I’m just eating it straight with a little vegan margarine. It’s super quick and super yummy, and much healthier than some of the other foods available. Anywho, whether you’re a vegan or not, microwavable rice might just be the next Ramen noodle:) It’s already Sunday and I have a pretty long to-do list: I have to work on a two-page paper take home quiz, finish up some readings, memorize a monologue, and start research for my 10 page research paper final exam. I feel like if I can get through at least the first three, the rest of the week can easily be devoted to my final paper. I’ve been writing TONS of articles for the Daily Texan recently, which has been a blast! I got to see Hot Chip last Wednesday, who are a techno-pop band from the UK. They were AWESOME! Mmk, I have to go get on that to-do list, so bye for now!

photo of Caitlin