Caitlin's Blog

My First All-Nighter

I experienced my first-ever all-nighter last night in order to perfect a 9 page research paper I turned in this morning. I had never done such a thing before in my collegiate career, or in any previous scholastic career. It was grueling, and I am about to take a nap. I just wanted to make some suggestions for when your schedule will most likely become crazy during finals week each year. First, a study buddy helps immensely. Having a friend to study with keeps you motivated, and allows you to take small breaks (your friend can watch your stuff while you get up to stretch your legs, go to the bathroom, or grab a drink, and vice versa.) You don’t actually have to study the same subject as the person, but just the presence of a friend can help you cheer yourself on. Next, make sure to fuel yourself RIGHT. This is primarily where my own downfall was last night. I consumed a soda, some vegan ice cream and a couple other sweets to keep me awake instead of opting for the healthy choice of some fresh fruit. Fruit is much, much better for you, and you have a less likely chance of becoming physically ill if you’ve been up much too late (I had the nausea-chills this morning when I was trying to go to sleep, and very much regretted everything I ate.) Another tactic that helps me is organizing what it is I have to do and the order I want to do it in. There is nothing more satisfying than slowly checking off tasks from a to-do list. This helps you organize your thoughts and goals, and makes everything seem less daunting when you break it into pieces (leaving less of a chance for procrastination.) Finally, don’t put things off. In some instances, you could be so swamped with activities that you’ll really be forced to spend some longer nights on work. But to the best of your ability, spread things out, especially during finals week. If this means skipping an evening out or a movie with friends and postponing these and other similar fun activities until you make it through you week, think of them as treats you get to look forward to once you accomplish your goals. I hope these tidbits help you! I’ll be back soon with some of my final posts of the year:)

May 8, 2007 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Caitlin