Anneliese's Blog

Rock and Roll Music

Hands down, the coolest part of Austin is all the amazing festivals and conventions. On the 28th of October, I attended my favorite festival of all: The Austin Record Convention. Imagine an entire warehouse-size room filled with hundreds of vendors and thousands of buyers all tied together by one thing: their undying love for vinyl records.

When I was a freshman in high school, I became very interested in collecting vinyl records. They are so different compared to CDs or MP3s. They just have a warmer sound to them. Listening to a record, it feels like you are right there in that musician’s house, sitting on his or her couch, listening to what may become his or her next hit. Of course, my first mission was to collect all of the Beatles albums on 33 1/3s (which is your standard size records). Just a year before, when I was in the 8th grade, my mom sold all of her original copies of every Beatles album ever released in the US. If only I had gotten into vinyls sooner!!!

This year, I feel as though I made some good purchases.

• Santana’s Abraxas(a gift from Corey- Thanks!)
  • Jefferson Airplane’s Volunteers
  • War’s Why Can’t We Be Friends?
  • Queen’s The Game
  • Cat Steven’s Tea for the Tillerman

My Current to get list:

1. T. Rex’s Electric Warrior
  2. Thin Lizzy’s Jailbreak

What’s even cooler is that my roommate got a record player for our room! I was borrowing Corey and Grant’s (two of my closest friends here at UT)’s record player, but now there’s one in my living room! It’s very exciting for me.

I shall continue my adventures in finding festivals in Austin and I will always continue adding to my collection.

November 6, 2007 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Anneliese