Enrique's Blog

Captain Obvious, Indie Music, and le frallemand

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS STRIKES AGAIN!

Well, much to my surprise, I’ve been denied entry into the Finer Things Club, a.k.a. The College of Communication. It’s alright though, I feel that this is a form of divine intervention that is shouting “Enrique! No!” It still hurts though.

I am registered to go to New York in March through a program sponsored by the Texas Exes of New York (The Texas Exes are an organization that brings Texas alumni together in practically every geographical area of the world). Through this program, we get to interact with potential employers in New York City. The hotel is right in Times Square. I am very ecstatic. The question, however, is whether I should go since it deals with real world jobs for people in Communications, though it is open to every major. This means that Radio-Television-Film majors get to meet with directors, Advertising majors get to meet with… whomever their potential employers may be, and PR majors (what I had aspired to be) get to meet with cool PR firms and employers. To go and continue down the road that has so cruelly rejected me, or forge another road.

INDIE MUSIC

So, when I began looking into Austin, I found out that it takes great pride in its self-proclaimed claims to fame like the “Keep Austin Weird” slogan, The Austin City Limits Festival, and it’s title of “Live Music Capital of the World.” I never payed much attention to these things, until now.

In the past couple of months, I’ve seen Incubus, The Bravery, Fall Out Boy, Plain White T’s, Gym Class Heroes, Bjork, The Killers, Muse, Common, Regina Spektor, Queens of the Stone Age, LCD Soundsystem, Kaiser Chiefs, Aterciopelados, Augustana, Spoon, The Silversun Pickups, What Made Milwaukee Famous, and The Lemurs.

I realize many of you may not really recognize most of these bands, but I had the time of my life at these concerts. If you come to Austin to visit, to school, or just on the way through, check out a concert, they are everywhere.

LE FRALLEMAND

Classes began! I’m really excited for this semester because I’m finally finishing the ridiculously large amount of Natural Sciences courses with Astronomy and Weather and Climate (really cool thing: my professor for the Weather class is the weatherman from the local news Troy Kimmel!). I’m also very excited that I finally got into a Romanticism class… taught by a visiting professor from Germany, and I finally puckered up the courage to take Advanced French (I decided to take one intensive course in a different foreign language while I’m still in school so I’ll take German in the fall and Italian next spring).

Well, frallemand… my brother is very involved with his German program at school (he goes to Stony Point in Round Rock). He is going on a summer exchange to Germany so he has taken it upon himself to improve his German, thus making me catch on to his German. So French class has had me thinking German words and translating them into French. Hopefully this won’t interfere with my learning the languages, but I just thought that this was hilarious.

Until next time loyal readers, join in the last hurrah of the night!

January 17, 2008 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Enrique