Anneliese's Blog

Dig It

Today is my second favorite day of the year!

I have a minor obsession with the Academy Awards. I have watched them every year since before I can remember. The 1999 Oscars (the year American Beauty won) was the first time I manage to stay awake all the way through Best Picture. Ever since, I have been addicted.

Beginning my sophomore year in high school, my friend, Michael, and I used to always predict who we thought would win. Predictions are tricky though! You have to take in account the critic’s opinion, what the Golden Globes say, and most importantly- what you think.

Last year, my friend Corey and I went out and saw every best picture nominee, and this year we’re doing the same. All I have left is Michael Clayton. After that is the hard part: actually deciding where to put my vote. Michael and I have upped the bet this year, and the loser has to take winner to dinner. I refuse to lose!

So now, I give you my prelimenary prediction. By the way, this is insight into brilliance. Just kidding!

Best Picture

No Country for Old Men

My personal favorite movie of the year (from these five) was Juno, but I thought There Will Be Blood was the best made film. I went with No Country because I felt like it has received the best response from critics and fans alike, and the Coen Brothers are unstoppable.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Daniel Day-Lewis

Daniel Day-Lewis gave an amazing performance in There Will Be Blood. It was phenomenal. He really captured the complexity of his character. I would personally love to see Johnny Depp win an Oscar, but I’m going with Daniel for this one.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Julie Christie

I have not seen this performance, but I know from the past, she is a phenomenal actress. She has received unending praise for this film, and I think this could lead to her second Oscar. Ellen Page was very well cast and perfect for the role of Juno, but I think she needs a bit more time. In the future, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see her receive an Oscar. Marion Cottilard is one of my favorite actresses. I first saw her in a film called Jeux d’enfants, also known as Love Me If You Dare. She was brilliant. I would love to see her win an Oscar as well, but her competition is just too stiff this year.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Javier Bardem

Best acting performance of the year. Hands down. Javier Bardem plays the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men. When I saw the movie, he was exactly how I pictured Chigurh when I read the book by Cormac McCarthy. I do love Philip Seymour Hoffman. He is an extremely talented actor, and no one was happier than I was when he won for Capote.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Cate Blanchett

I have not seen I’m Not There (despite being a huge Bob Dylan fan), but I hear Cate Blanchett gave a really strong performance. Ruby Dee was incredible in American Gangster, but my hat goes off to Saoirse Ronan for her performance in Atonement. I read the book by Ian McEwan and was incredibly fascinated by the character of Briony, and Saoirse managed to capture that very well.

I’ll call it a post after those five and update you closer to February 24th about my predictions. Last year, Dobie Theater played the (animated and live action) short films, so hopefully they do again, so I can make more educated predictions.

Until next time!

January 22, 2008 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Anneliese