Anneliese's Blog

Anytime At All

What college student doesn’t love free stuff?!?!?

One of the things I love most about UT is all the free things the University offers its students. Even more than that, I love the fact that the free things the University offers are amazing!

This past Tuesday, I went to the opening of the new exhibit at the Harry Ransom Center. The Ransom Center is this incredible museum and archive that has a copy of the Gutenberg Bible and a copy of the first photograph ever taken. Last year, the HRC acquired lots of artifacts of Robert DeNiro’s (including scripts and costumes). When I heard they got DeNiro’s personal donation I was floored! I thought to myself, “This place must be really awesome if Young Vito Corleone donates items from his personal collection.”

This semester’s exhibit is a collection of letters, books, photographs and more from the Beatniks. It’s entitled On the Road with the Beats. On the Road by Jack Kerouac has been one of my favorite books since I was a young teen. To be able to see, with my own eyes directly in front of me, the journal he kept while writing his most famous novel. I have been incredibly fascinated by the Beats ever since, and when I heard this exhibit was coming I could not wait.

My friend Josh (not blogger Josh, a different one) and I walked through the exhibits, and both thoroughly enjoyed it. That is one thing I love about UT. There is so much to do, and it always bring people together. I ran into friends there at the museum, and I’ve been recommending the exhibit to all of my friends. If you live in Austin, check it out! If not, come to Austin- its worth the trip.

photo of Anneliese