Alex's Blog

Jobs in College…

Wow, these past two weeks have been super busy for me. I finally decided to get a job for the spring semester and on top of my internship and the class I am taking, I am already feeling short on time…uh-oh.

One big lesson I have learned in college is to be careful not bite off more than you can chew. Admittedly, I have fallen into that very trap before. Last semester I quit my job of over 2 years because I realized that I absolutely had to focus on finishing school and perfecting my law school applications. It can be hard to admit that you’ve taken on too much. But sometimes, you just have to suck it up and reevaluate your commitments. Remember that you are in school to get a degree – every so often I have to step back and remind myself that is my most important priority right now.

So, I am a little worried about my schedule right now. At this point I will have to see how everything goes and adjust accordingly. I like my new job, I love my internship, and my class isn’t bad either ;) I just need to figure out how to do all three without feeling too stressed.

Oh, and to the incoming freshman: if you can avoid having a job your freshman year, please do. Freshman year in college is the year of the weed out classes, and those who do not devote most of their time to schoolwork will see the negative impact it has…which, unfortunately, will come mostly in the form of a not-so-hot GPA! Plus, noone is going to give you notes if you tell them that you couldn’t make it to class because you had work. I have been asked this more than once and never have sympathy for the person who can’t schedule their work around classes. Trust me, you’ll be hard-pressed to find someone that does. Just a piece of advice for all you new kids!

photo of Alex