Enrique's Blog

The Finer Things…

Little known fact about UT… it’s not as big as people make it out to be. Sure, we have over 50,000 students, 20,000-ish staff and faculty, but you can still find yourself in this crowd of people.

One way to do this is to join organizations. 99% of my friends/acquaintances I’ve met through class, organizations, or people who introduce other people to me. It’s a very complicated social web.

There are over 900 registered organizations at UT from Greek life to Student Government to the Albino Squirrel Preservation Society.

I decided to leave my mark on UT by starting an organization of my own… all it takes is 2 friends, $10, and enthusiasm to make this world a better place (the latter isn’t necessary, though encouraged). As such, I’ve decided to take it upon myself to start The Finer Things Club.

Yes, many of you watch The Office (which I truly miss due to the current Writer’s Strike, but I’ll avoid that topic) and recognize the name.

The Finer Things Club is an organization in which its members discuss the culture of art in all of its glorious forms: television, music, museum visits, intellectual discussions about art movements, et cetera.

I must say I’m really excited to start this club, but, of course the application hasn’t been turned in yet so I’ll keep y’all posted on the progress of the organization.

In the mean time… here are some of the finer things I’m experiencing:

1) Across the Universe. Great movie. See it soon!

2) Bambino’s New York Style Deli
This new place opened just up Guadalupe Street from my dorm. It’s literally a block away to the biggest/best sandwiches I’ve had in a while. The ambiance is very well themed as a “mobster” scene with the mugshots of big mafia bosses, a somewhat creepy life-size mannequin of a Mafia Lord, and some really, really friendly employees.

3) I went to the Audio/Visual Library (You can check out DVDs and CDs without a Blockbuster card and for free!) and I checked out Spoon’s Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, it’s quite good if you are into Spoon. Their sound is a very upbeat version of what you imagine an acoustic session would be like. I actually saw Spoon in an acoustic set, and without the complex sounds, they are just like any other band. In all, if you really want to check them out, try “The Underdog,” it’s a goodie.

Until next time, prosper, be happy, and parlez francais!

photo of Enrique