Renee's Blog

$55 million dollars donated to the UT School of Music !!!

Arts lovers and philanthropists Sarah and Ernest Butler have donated $55 million dollars to the UT School of Music, the largest gift to a music school of a public university. The UT School of Music is now named for the generous couple who previously donated $2 million dollars to the UT opera department.

I was amazed when I read the e-mail sent by School of Music Director, Dr. Glenn Chandler, to all UT School of Music students informing us of the gift. Dr. Chandler pointed out that, “this magnificent gift will make a huge difference in the (now) Butler School of Music” and our education. Two thirds of the Butler School of Music endowment will be put towards student scholarships and assistance.

I had always wondered why the UT School of Music did not have a name. Now I am so proud to be in the first graduating class of the Butler School of Music.

The Butlers are responsible for donating to the arts throughout Austin. They have given to Ballet Austin, the Austin Symphony, the Austin Lyric Opera, the Blanton Museum and so much more.

I want to thank the Butlers for this incredibly generous gift. Upon graduation I will know that this amazing school will continue to have the best faculty, staff, programs, facilities and scholarships in the world.

It is at once exciting and inspiring. I hope that one day I will have the satisfaction of giving so great to the things I love most.

This is a gift that will empower and change the future of music and the lives of young musicians. Thank you.

photo of Renee