Anneliese's Blog

I’ll Follow the Sun

Spring Break brought some fun times and a good trip to Phoenix, Arizona. I got to see old friends, eat some great food, and meet new people. The best part, however, came in the form of an email.

On Tuesday, when I was in Phoenix, I woke up and decided to check my email. In my inbox was an email titled “Congratulations!” I knew what it was right away and I couldn’t believed it.

Back in February I applied for the Archer Fellowship. It has always been my dream to teach, but lately I have found myself more and more interested in Educational Policy. I still would love to teach and get as much experience as possible in the classroom, but I hope to one day work here in Austin or in D.C. for an education agency lobbying for change in the public school system. It combines all of my passions- education, government, history, politics, communication… and the list goes on.

I was worried about applying for the Fellowship, because I wasn’t sure if I fit the traditional mold of the fellows. Many of them have incredibly impressive amounts of experience for college students and all have given immense amounts of time to civic engagements. I was worried I may be under qualified or not what the selection committee was looking for, but I figured there was only one way to find out.

I wrote an essay, picked possible internships, set up letters of recommendations, wrote a personal statement, and went through the toughest and more grueling interview of my life. It was all worth it. On Tuesday, I found out I head to Washington, D.C. for an entire semester in the Fall. I will be there for the election, and I cannot wait. I know I’ve said it before, but I feel as though this is the most interesting election ever.

A part of me is without a doubt nervous and sad to leave Austin. I know I will miss my friends here and all of the great things about Austin (and Texas) like Alamo Drafthouse, this year’s ACL Music Festival, the Football season (and running the World’s Largest Texas Flag with Alpha Phi Omega), the State Fair, and this list goes on and on too. I know I will have a blast when I am in D.C. though, and the undying support of my family and friends is certainly helping.

I’ll be sure to keep you updated, and let you know when I figure out where I am interning and all that fun stuff. Years from now if I make it into the news for something with educational policy- don’t be afraid to brag that you read my blog back in the day. ;D

photo of Anneliese