Joshuah's Blog

Free Groceries!!!

The weekend before last my parents came to visit me in Austin. Needless to say, Ive been eating pretty well for the past week. It sure feels good to have a refrigerator full of food, an apartment full of snacks, and fresh clothes (they also paid for the wash) without having to use my own money.

Ive been fortunate to not have to place the burden of asking my parents for spending money or help in subsidizing my education. Therefore, when the opportunity for free meals and clean clothes comes around, I have to jump to the occasion.

Final Weeks

The stress level has substantially subsided since my last post. Some of the bright points have been: Closing in on straight As; no more oral quizzes in Chinese (the last one was actually pretty fun); lining up a plethora of resources for my research paper due Thursday; and only a few more weeks of school, which makes this semester bitter sweet. I’ve grown more this semester than any other.

By the way, if anyone is considering taking Chinese next semester I have to warn you that the oral quizzes are the most stressful part of the class. Most everyone in the room begins to sweat at the palms and shake at the legs. Therefore the number one skill youll have to learn in taking Chinese isbuilding your memory.

Summer

I still havent decided what Ill be doing for the summer. As a Rapoport Scholar, Im required to do 200 hours of community service, so Im looking for a nice place to do that. Last summer I volunteered at an environmental non-profit back home in Houston. CLEAN has a great group of guys with excellent volunteer opportunities, not to mention an outstanding website. If anyone is interested in interning or volunteering for them, I suggest sending them and email or giving them a call to find out if there are any opportunities for the summer. They also have a sister group here in Austin along with a string of networks throughout the state that they can tell you about if interested.

Id also like to take some summer school classes just to get some required courses out of the way. Since Im taking Japanese on top of Chinese next semester, I figured I might want some wriggle room in deciding my course schedule for subsequent semesters.

Do those summers of mowing the grass with no mosquitoes, reading books for leisure, and sleeping til noon still exist? If so, I cant wait to have one those!

Post Script

I only have a few more weeks of blogging left, so if you guys have any topics youd like to learn more about send me an email. For you concerned parents: Yes, you all are also welcomed to join in on the action.=) Lets finish this semester off with a bang!

photo of Joshuah