Joe's Blog

That time of year….is HERE!!!

Its that time of year again. The time where students are waking up at eight AM dashing to their computers, skipping classes and breakfast, hoping that they will be the first to register for the classes that they so desperately need in order to graduate. Thats right! The time has come for everyone to register for classes for the 2008-2009 school year. How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I decided that my schedule for the next school year will include classes only on Tuesday and Thursday. I know a lot of people may not understand the method to my madness.

Unique Course Title Bldg Room Days Time
48710 WGS 322 SOCIOLOGY OF MASCULINITIES-W BUR
231 TTH 11:00-12:30P

34435 E 314J LITERATURE & ETHNOGRAPHY-W FAC
10 TTH 12:30- 2:00P

35945 AFR 320 RACE & CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM BUR
134 TTH 2:00- 3:30P

36013 AFR 374D5-RACE, SPORT, AND IDENTITY-W GEA
127 TTH 3:30- 5:00P

46590 SOC 333K SOCIOLOGY OF GENDER CBA
4.328 TTH 8:00- 9:30

You are registered for 5 classes for 15 hours.

This will free up a lot of room on Wednesday for any organization, advising, or random meeting I may have. And even if this schedule is too much too handle, I can always drop a class and still have the required twelve hours to be considered a full time student. I am really excited to take these classes because they seem so interesting and I feel like I could actually learn a lot from each one of them. I am for the most part thinking of changing my sociology of masculinities class to something else because Im taking sociology of gender.

Thats the great thing about college. For the most part you can take really interesting classes that you actually want to take. In high school, your schedule is pretty much set because there are only so many classes offeredbut in college because of the vast majority of classes offered, the possibilities are endless. I say if you can, take advantage of this. Take a class that gets you outside of your major because in the end it may help you out. You may find out that you really dont like your majorLOL! Dont be afraid to change majors also. Most students do. It took me twice before I found a major that I really enjoyed and knew I wanted to pursue. Dont feel as though you have to please your family or friends, because YOU are the one that is getting the degree. YOU are the one that has to live with the decision. YOU are the one that has to wok in that field.
I know all of this information may scare you and that is something I am not trying to do. College is one of the best times in your life, but you dont want to have to deal with being in a major that makes you unhappy because it will ruin your college experience. It will make this awesome time turn into a dreadful four or five years.

Random Fact- I am the biggest Beyonce fan. I know the lyrics to everyone of her songs. I have every movement of her concert memorized. However I have never had an opportunity to see her live in concert. One day I will. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

photo of Joe