Joseph's Blog

Any Audiophiles Out There?

If you listen to a lot of music on your computer, you should definitely check out Last.fm “scrobbling.” Basically you add a plugin to your media player and whenever you play a song, it sends that song’s information to a server, where they compile information about the music you listen to.

I use it to see what kind of music I listen to over time. There are algorithms that give you a list of artists you may like. Oh, and it’s a pretty sweet community, you can post “shouts” and join groups, usual online social site stuff.

Personally, I’m all over the place in terms of music. When I started high school, I was limited to only techno and rap. But after four years of opening my mind, I love just about every form of music. Even coming to Austin I discovered a lot of new music from my friends. It’s hard to describe, but some days I’m feeling mellow 80’s soft rock, other days I’m craving some fierce and raw electronica. It’s great that I’m in the live music capital of the world because I absolutely love music.

Another nifty little thing is the “Recently Played” list. It updates your recently played files in almost realtime (give or take 15 or so seconds). This is what brought me to last.fm in the first place. Last.fm can create an automatically generated image with your recently played files. You can use it on Xanga, MySpace, personal blogs, or forums signatures. It’s pretty cool. Here’s mine:

Those of you interested, check out my (shameless plug of the day) last.fm profile here.

November 19, 2008 | | Comments are closed for this post

3 Comments to Any Audiophiles Out There?

intriguing. i shall have to investigate this site.

November 20, 2008
— Tony

Yay for being friends on last.fm. I love how our music compatibility is “very low.” I’m going to put my last.fm thing in a blog post sometime, I totally forgot they have those.

November 22, 2008
— Paul

Haha, long lost friends brought together by the admissions blogs…

Yeah it took me by surprise when I found out that ahmed@ was available. “Ahmed” is seriously like “John” or “Bob” here.

I thought the new Bond was alright. I didn’t expect anything more, but the parachute sequence was so trite.

Last.fm is pretty cool, but I love Pandora even more. You should check it out, it really helps discover more music, and it’s scary accurate.

November 25, 2008
— ahmed

photo of Joseph