Doyin's Blog

Oh, The Places You Will Go

So I’m back at UT, unpacked and settled into my dorm with a few staples like granola bars, ramen noodles (I haven’t gotten sick of them yet) and several bottles of water.

On Monday (Martin Luther King Day) I woke up at 8 a.m. to attend the MLK march that started on our campus. From there we marched to the Capitol and then onto Huston-Tillotson University for a festival. I don’t know how many people were there exactly, but there were hundreds. I’ve never been a part of something so big before. I felt…like part of history somehow. The mixture of the magnitude of the march, the speeches, the prayers and the atmosphere of the festival made me proud to be alive in this day and age. It made me even more ready for the inauguration.

Even though my first class was exactly during the inauguration, it was a journalism class and my teacher (these are his words) was smart enough not to try to upstage the inauguration, so we ended up watching it for the first part of class. It was spectacular, and even though I couldn’t be there in person, I was still watching this historic moment go down live (in a warm room, while sitting down, might I add). President Obama was calm, cool and collected, his wife was elegant and his daughters were adorable. And his speech was…somber. That’s what I like about him. He keeps it real as best as he can. OK, enough about him for now, this is a huge part of history that I’m lucky to be alive for, but the media’s doing enough talking about him for all of us…

Anyway, Christmas break was good. It was a chance for me to relax, spend time with my family, go over my first semester at UT and prepare myself for another one. There were times when the break felt waaay too long… but now… I’m kinda wishing it was a bit longer. I’ve already got several readings to do for some classes and after getting most of my syllabi, I can see some weeks that won’t be so pleasant. But in the end, it looks like I’ll only have to take two finals and maybe even just one, if I’m lucky.

Either way, I’m ready for this semester. And I’m excited. There are some new things coming up, like activities with ASA (African Students Association) and also some possible new opportunities for me. So we’ll see what happens. It’s only the first week of the semester. So much could happen later on. I’ll keep you posted, of course.

=Doyin

P.S. Pictures from the MLK March! Courtesy of Moustapha Gassama.

The choir singing at the first part of the march by the MLK statue on UT.

Just part of the crowd at the Capitol.

Just a small part of the crowd at the Capitol.

Me and my friends at the MLK festival at Hutson-T. I'm the one in the sunglasses.

January 23, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post

3 Comments to Oh, The Places You Will Go

We watched the inauguration at school. Goodbye, Bush. Hello, Obama!

January 26, 2009
— Helen

Hmm, I like this picture with all these BAD YELLA FEES!!! LOL. But, this one was AIGHT. You shoulda brought it for me to check. Hope u didn’t forget I took AP English back in Ode Omu. That was the class with the chairs. But, this is a WELL-WRITTEN blog. You kept it simple, neat and concise, just like Ms. Heaps taught us. I’m really proud of you, that’s why I continue to hate. For real, no one sees a loser and wants to hate on them. You are a WINNA!!! LOL. I can keep writing on and on, Doyin, you got me worked up now. GOD BLESS!

January 27, 2009
— The Bestestest Brother in the World.

Aw dude that looks like a bit more than “a few hundred” haha. I had to stream the inauguration with no sound on my laptop during my statics class. My professor later told us he hated laptops that were open during class. But it was worth it. Definitely worth it.

February 4, 2009
Joseph

photo of Doyin