Hannah's Blog

The Swing of Things

Another day, another dollar. This semester’s “first day of school” was something of an anticlimax, given that I am only taking two real classes. These classes, however, are so real that I don’t even feel guilty about slacking. Fourth-semester Arabic: six credit hours, four days a week, bajillions of hours of homework. Priceless. Or something. And Plan II Physics. Money quote: “Is the universe ROUND? or is it ROUND?”–professor, gesticulating wildly. Doesn’t that sound real to you?

Then there’s my thesis. Every time I look at the darn thing I’m like, “Oh, I’m really not that smart after all.” As a friend of mine put it, “Thesising is really just learning how to psych yourself out.” And I’m also taking two gym classes, because, well, in four months I might well be an unemployed, aimless 21-year-old with a liberal arts degree, probably living in my mother’s house, and I may as well be in good shape. You have to have something going for you.

Getting ready to graduate is strange because over the past couple of years I’ve developed a really strong liking for Austin. For example, I am very happy to be sitting in this coffee shop writing this post while it is 75 degrees outside. My mom sent me this picture this morning:

Central Park Reservoir frozen over

Central Park Reservoir frozen over

I can never go back! Cue crisis of confidence about post-graduation plans. End post.

January 23, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to The Swing of Things

It’s almost funny thinking about how the nation is in this winter crisis, and little ol’ Texas is kind of excluded from it all. I only wish we could have had a snow day like every other school in the country. :/

January 28, 2009
— Doyin

photo of Hannah