Archana's Blog

Yes We Can…Survive This Semester

Currently listening to: Everybody Else – In Memoriam

Today was the first day of my last semester of college. I feel… old. Isn’t that such a sad thought at 21? But I’ve got to tell you, when I walk around the Jester area–fraught with freshmen–I look at them and all I see are babies.

Especially when it also dawns on me that these freshmen were born in the 1990s. Haunting.

I count roughly 78 days left in the semester. My days at UT are certainly numbered–the days of going to class, hanging out with my friends until the wee hours, partying, studying…it’s college. A time of self-discovery, hard truths, growing up–a part of me is still madly in love with this life.

And yet, a tiny yet strong feeling has emerged, too–I’m excited and ready to embark on the next chapter of my life. There’s just one tiny problem.

I’ve asked around, and I’ve found that it is not a good idea to ask graduating college seniors what their post-graduation plans are. With the economy in shambles and companies cutting positions every day, the feature is looking bleak–bleaker than 2008 or 2007, to be sure. In reality, I can only think of a handful (yes, five) of people who I know have secured a job. And bear in mind, this is across the board–communication, business, engineering, natural sciences, etc. I don’t think any graduating senior wants to look you in the eye and say, “I feel stressed and miserable because the job market is awful, and I’m scared I won’t be successful.” While I’m sure this is felt each year by many students, I feel it hitting our graduating class particularly hard.

Moving on.

I’ll give you a rundown of my first day of class, along with some tips:

• Never take a class before 9 a.m., 10 a.m. if you can swing it, 11 a.m. if you’ve got a guardian angel. College tends to make you nocturnal.
  • It’s possible (and realistic) that you will either (A) love the class but dislike the teacher or (B) dislike the class but love the teacher. This can make a huge difference in how you view the classwork.
  • Naps are fantastic. Not sure why we ever stopped taking them in school.
  • Class #1 was great. It’s not like either option I mention above–good sign.
  • Class #2 was…eh. Definitely leaning toward option A, but it was the first day. I should cut the prof some slack. A couple of my good friends are in this class, so hopefully they’ll entertain me as well.
  • Day: homework (yes, already!), accidental nap, gym with two of my girlfriends, and work.

Today was also a college milestone for me. Today, we welcomed our 44th president, Barack Obama. I watched the inauguration on Hulu and CNN, and it was incredible to witness the historic swearing in ceremony. For our nation, I am optimistic.

January 21, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post

3 Comments to Yes We Can…Survive This Semester

Hey! I don’t know if you remember me, but we were in our freshman FIG together (I was Heather Christopherson then). I was just looking around on UT’s site and ran across this and recognized you… I was like “Hey! I know her!”

Anyway, I graduated last semester. It’s SO crazy how quickly the time has gone. We were little baby freshmen not too long ago and now we are being sent off in the world to find… jobs. Real jobs, not McDonald’s or anything, but something that we ACTUALLY want to do!

Best of luck with your last semester and best of luck with the job search. I’m still jobless… but I’m hopeful! =)

- Heather

January 27, 2009
— Heather Jim

I think that’s something a lot of college students are worried about right now, whether they’ll be successful. I hope you will be though! You seem so on top of everything. :D

January 28, 2009
— Doyin

Hi! I was just going through the UT Web site and ran across these blogs. I really appreciate you posting this. I will be entering UT as a freshman this fall and to say I am excited is definitely an understatement! Is there any other advice you could give me? Just about everything lol. Anything and everything helps!

February 1, 2009
— Ana Arreola

photo of Archana