Joseph's Blog

So fast!

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always been an avid runner. It’s relatively easy, not much to think about. With basketball and football you have all these rules like fouls and first downs. Not to mention the fact that I can’t throw at all and probably would trip over the basketball dribbling.

My middle school track coach had told me to try out for wide receiver, but I was way too intimidated at the time. Sometimes I like to think life would be different if I had tried out, found out I was good, played high school ball and got recruited by some big school on a scholarship. Pretty romantic, eh? Too bad I discovered Cartoon Network.

I remember the first time I put track cleats on and ran with them. It was amazing. They’re nothing like trainers. They fit very close to the foot and they’re very light. Something on the order of five and a half ounces for both shoes. The heel is a little inclined so when you get up to speed, you’re running on the toes.

The first time I ran my new cleats, it was 3 a.m. and 45 degrees outside. The experience was so refreshing. I hadn’t run with spikes since middle school. The spikes at the bottom of the cleats dig right into the synthetic material of the track and the inclined heel just begs you to pick up your feet. I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful moments in my life. It’s up there with beating Oklahoma 45-34, President Obama getting elected, and “Slumdog Millionaire” winning eight Oscars. OK, maybe not as beautiful as those but it’s still pretty awesome. By the way, “Slumdog Millionaire” is an excellent movie. It absolutely deserved those. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry. You’ll grip your seat, you’ll hold your breath, but at the end you’ll feel like you learned a lot.

I usually hit the gym and then run about two to three times a week.

photo of Joseph