Eva's Blog

Semester #4: Practically 2/3 done with my college career

Wow, my last post was nearly a month ago. I usually write about the people and experiences I encounter on a nearly semi-weekly basis in my personal blog…so why is my tardiness this month any exception?

I think the answer lies in my title, “Semester #4: Practically 2/3 done with college career.” I’m stressed, busy, frazzled, overwhelmed and scared out of my mind about being just a year away from graduating and saying goodbye to my undergrad career at UT.

Since my last post, I’ve been hit head-on by the spring semester. Along with moving to Austin in mid-January and readjusting to the warm Texas weather and time zone, I’ve had to get used to attending classes at UT. The last time I sat in a lecture hall or even walked around campus was last year–spring 2008. I even forgot where a couple buildings were!

Transitions is the best way to describe it. Suddenly I’ve gone from working 40 hours/week and attending classes at night and some weekends to attending all-consuming classes, wearing jeans and T-shirts, having to leave for school with a one-hour cushion instead of the 20 minutes I had in D.C., not living with 11 other people and having to drive everywhere.

Even the structure of classes is different. In D.C., classes were similar to graduate seminars, and we never took multiple-choice exams. At UT, I am getting back into my journalism coursework and taking a couple classes with those “conventional” testing methods. I spend most of my time writing stories for my J320D class–an upper-division reporting course required in the print journalism sequence, studying in the CMA Lobby/Texas Union, or working my new job with the UT Government Department.

Over a month into the new semester though, I’m officially readjusted and feel pretty confident I can handle whatever spring 2009 dishes out at me. After this, just two more semesters to go!

photo of Eva