Archana's Blog

Get Your Groove On

Currently listening to: City & Colour – Hello, I’m in Delaware

I remember thinking my freshman year that time stood still during the week–the weekend could never get here fast enough. In contrast, my senior year is just flying by. As I cross the weeks off in my planner, I wonder, where does the time go?

Since school started a few weeks ago, I’ve been situating myself into the groove of the semester. So far, it’s shaping up beautifully. Classes in the morning, studying/work in the afternoon, cycling, studying/work. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My MWF schedule:

• Class A – love it. I like my professor, the content is interesting, and the the class is small–lots of discussion time.
  • Class B – a Business Foundations class. The professor is animated in his/her teaching style (passion is key) and because the class is comprised of students from every major, I’m exposed to some VERY different students–and that’s refreshing.
  • Class C – awesome. My professor’s got this dry sense of humor, add a point. During the semester, our team gets to formulate a media campaign for an actual client; real-world experience is so much better than listening to PowerPoint lectures about what’s out there. My team is also fantastic–and liking your team members makes the whole process more fun and easier.

Things I’ve learned, in no particular order:

• No one can ever predict when the West Campus bus or Forty Acres bus will arrive.
  • Guess what? The campus’s official newspaper, The Daily Texan? It’s free, no charge, nada. I had to explain this to some guy who was trying to read the headlines by crouching in front of the box.
  • People have a delightfully cool sense of style around here. Sure, there are lots of people who walk around in PJ-like garbs and (forgive me, but it’s true) the herds of sorority girls in Nike shorts, black leggings and North Face jackets, but otherwise it’s a veritable runway of fashionistas. People can be really creative!
  • I feel really bad not taking flyers handed out in West Mall, but I don’t like condoning the waste of paper. Fifty feet away, the ground is littered with abandoned flyers. I’ve tried ignoring people or politely declining with a pained smile, but I automatically feel their judging eyes glaring me down. Sorry?
  • Spinning is addicitive. Have you ever tried it? You leave sweating like–well, it’s just really gross–but you feel incredible afterward. And Roz, who teaches on Wednesday–best instructor ever. She yells at us–nicely!–when she wants everyone to go faster, harder. I love it.

Can’t wait to see what the rest of the semester brings. Good and bad.

photo of Archana