Joseph's Blog

It was a long day

I went to Gregory Gym last night at 10 p.m. and worked out till 11. I called up two classmates to do some differential equations homework at PCL. It was obviously due the next day.

So we get started and we realize that the assignment is going to take longer than predicted…Perry-CastaƱeda Library closes at 2 a.m. We were only two-thirds of the way done when we moved to Wendy’s in Jester to continue our homework expedition. It was a little chilly outside (I think it was like 37 degrees at the time) so we jogged from PCL to Wendy’s.

Still a handful of people inside at the time looking for a late night snack. Cecilia was thinking the same thing; she walked into Wendy’s with Jack Frost nipping at her nose. My study trio sat down and gobbled our food up. I’ve grown so tired of Wendy’s, but somehow, the chili is really good at 2 a.m. on a cold night. More diff eq till 3 a.m., when we finally finish. By now I’m exhausted, but I was exhausted after the gym.

Oh, wait. I didn’t mention the part where I have an 8:30 a.m. TA session. To add insult to injury, I can’t skip that class because it’s the differential equations TA session where we turn in our homework. I’m pretty diligent about waking up on time. I find it hard to oversleep. I woke up at 7:45 a.m., showered, threw some clothes on, and plodded to class. Fifteen minutes into the hourlong session I started nodding off. Luckily, the TA only went over the homework, which we fully understood (right?) from last night’s study group. I slept.

Physics lecture is at 9:30 a.m., with Professor Ditmire. He’s a really likeable guy. Jocular is a good word to describe him. He’s always in high spirits and makes physics interesting (most of the time). He put up an iClicker question, and usually what happens is that most people get the correct answer. This one question, however, stumped the class and only 14 of the students out of a class about 100 got the question right. Laughing, someone shouted, “Physics is hard! You were just like us when you were in college…” Professor Ditmire chuckled, “Nah, I was the kid in the back sleeping.” All of a sudden I felt interested, I said back, “Ohhh… Well, you turned out all right, I’ll get started right away!” Five minutes later, I’m actually asleep (who knew). For some reason I wake up suddenly and the class is laughing, and everyone is turned around looking at me. Apparently Professor Ditmire had commented, “Hope this physics isn’t boring y’all… unlike my buddy up there.” Everyone turned to look at who this slacker was. I looked around and my friend said, “No, he’s gonna grow up to be like you, professor!” Everyone laughed. Who knew sleeping in class could be so much fun.

Statics lecture was the same deal. Kinematics isn’t a pre-requisite for statics. The professor was basically reviewing forces and vectors and easy stuff we had studied all last semester in physics. Naturally I put my head down and I’m asleep.

It’s now 12:30 p.m. Our physics crew goes to eat at Kinsolving, and I get back to the Mo’ Hill at 2 p.m. I sleep some more in my bed till 4:30 p.m. I’ve got TA sessions later from 5-7 p.m. and 7-8 p.m. But by now, I’m wide awake.

So. Moral of the story? Don’t go to the gym before some hard brain exercise. Also, don’t do really tedious math homework at 11 p.m. the night before it’s due. Don’t sit in the middle of the class because the professor is most likely to see you there.

photo of Joseph