Archana's Blog

Bittersweet April

Currently Listening To: XTC – Then She Appeared

As March comes to a close and the best month fast approaches, I’m taking stock of where my life is right now. My love for being part of the university is stronger than ever – perhaps it’s because I realize there are just six more weeks of school and eight weeks until graduation.

This emotion was particularly hard to digest while picking out graduation stuff last week – the sea of burnt orange, Bevos, and “Class of 2009″ paraphernalia was…I realized that after May 23, I will officially be a University of Texas at Austin alum. I will become part of its past, its history, a memory. In a way, this will no longer be “my” campus; it will belong to a new generation of Longhorns. If and when I visit campus, it won’t even feel the same.

Besides being keenly aware of what’s up ahead, I’m fulfilling the promise I made to myself to make the most of my senior year. This past weekend was the perfect example of trying to find the right balance of:

• Studying
  • Detoxing (sleep, exercise, downtime)
  • Having Fun (being with my friends)
  • Working

Another priority is making time for the people closest to me. I’m lucky to see my closest friends on a regular basis; my parents live a reasonable driving distance away; it’s my sister whom I don’t get to see as often as I would like.

My sister is five years older than me and the rock of my life. When I was in high school, she went to college on the west coast. When I started at UT in 2005, she began medical school in Houston, Texas. Having her close by (and for scheduling calls, in the same time zone), allows us to see each other during the holidays and the occasional weekend.

In a few months, she will be moving to Georgia for her medical residency, marking yet another milestone in our lives. Realistically, we will have fewer opportunities than ever to stay connected and visit one another.

We’ve been fortunate enough to grow closer these past few years as we face personal and professional challenges. Never have I been more thankful for e-mail, cell phones, text messaging, Skype, and Twitter – even with the miles between us, we still manage to be part of each others lives.

How do you and your siblings stay connected while you’re at school?

Perils of the middle seat during road trips - your sister will fall asleep on you!

My sister's residency program match day

My sister's residency program match day

1 Comment to Bittersweet April

I cried reading this post, Archana. I love you so much. Can’t wait to see you this weekend! And that car photo couldn’t be funnier. Am I drooling?

April 1, 2009
— Ambili

photo of Archana