Eva's Blog

CGI U Conference and February in Review

Over the past two weeks I have: sat 20 feet away from Natalie Portman, signed a lease on a new apartment, and ordered my official UT class ring, and a dozen other things.

Life back at UT is fabulous. I started the new semester on a good note by attending the Clinton Global Initiative University Conference (CGI U) held here a couple weekends ago (so did Cecilia!). I was fortunate enough to see Bill Clinton in person last February while he was campaigning for Hillary, but it was just as nice to see him again. The real attraction for a lot of college students at the Opening Plenary, however, was Natalie Portman:

Some highlights of the weekend-long conference: make a friend from Beijing, eating breakfast with a group of students from Georgetown University, working sessions in Global Health (my “commitment to change” deals with disaster relief), getting a free pair of Tom’s Shoes, and casually bumping into The Daily Show’s John Oliver at the Pita Pit downtown. Good times, good times.

Even though CGI U is held at a different college campus each year, I highly encourage any current or future UT students to apply to attend next year’s conference. It’s a fantastic opportunity to network with other college students who want to see change in the world as much as you do, meet with national/international leaders, among other things.

On another note, here’s what is new with me:

-Signed a lease with a new apartment in Far West. I’ll be moving here in mid-April and am extremely excited about the change of scenery. Who doesn’t love a fresh start?

-Ordered my official UT class ring. Although I’m not excited about the nearly $500 bill, in the long run it will be a relatively small price to pay. I never bought a high school ring because I knew this one would mean so much more (no disrepect to those of you with HS rings, though).

-Received an invitation to Honors Day! I’d been waiting a few weeks for it, and it finally came in. I’m stoked. For those of you who don’t know, Honors Day is a university-wide ceremony/luncheon given to honor students with high GPAs.

-Finished my first wave of tests… so far with flying colors, but it’s important for me to not get too confident. In the past I have aced the first wave of tests, only to perform less than spectacular on the second. I need to push myself to work harder than ever.

Tonight, I meet my fellow Longhorn Confidential bloggers for the FIRST TIME at the Spiderhouse Cafe.  I will update on this later this week, but I think it’s fair to say I’m really looking forward to it. :-)

Until soon,

Hook ‘em!

1 Comment to CGI U Conference and February in Review

Well, you have to make a friend from Beijing, eating breakfast with a group of students from Georgetown University….

May 12, 2011
— umair malik

photo of Eva