Doyin's Blog

My First Job. Ever.

OK, not really my first job. There were a few summers when I helped my mom out in her store. But she didn’t pay me. So wait, never mind, this is still my first job. Ever.

And what is “this” you might ask? This first job (ever) of mine. Well, I am now a copy editor at The Daily Texan. Yay! I get paid…ah, you don’t need to know. But I get paid. Period. I only work one night a week, Mondays, from 6 p.m. to midnight. Sometimes we get out earlier than that, sometimes later. It depends on how fast the news comes in.

But it’s not a bad job, I wasn’t even thinking of it in terms of getting a “job.” I really just needed the newspaper experience. And I’m getting it. Getting paid for the experience is a bonus. That I’ll gladly keep.

This semester is being good to me so far. Not taking Calculus might have something to do with that.

But this week has been rough. OK, not rough, just busy. That’s because it’s another huge week for ASA. It’s banquet week! There’s an event every night of the week and I like to help out when I can. Some of the events are run by freshmen so I was a bit more involved than usual. Monday night was a forum on the genocide in Darfur that I had to miss because I was at work. Tuesday night was game night, the event that my group had to put on, and it was great! I forgot how rambunctious Africans could be though…but it was all good and I want to thank everyone who came. :D Wednesday night was our date auction to help raise money for a program that helps educate children in Africa. Thursday night was our regular meeting, but this time it was run by another group of freshmen and we had food. Yum. Tonight will be our talent show at 7 p.m. in the Student Union and I can’t wait to see it. Then tomorrow morning will be African Relays…I honestly don’t know what will be happening there, but I want to go, if just to satisfy my curiosity. Then finally, Saturday night will be the banquet where we get to chill, eat some good food and calm down from this crazy week. Can’t wait for it.

Or can I? Because next week isn’t looking too pretty for me. How could it with three exams and a paper due? Exam Wednesday, exam and paper due Thursday and then another exam on Friday. What fun… But I’ll be fine, especially because after I finish my last exam on Friday, I get to go home for Spring Break! Yay! So really, I can’t wait for 2 o’clock on March 13. It’ll be an epic hour.

Since I always end up talking about ASA, I might as well leave you with a video summarizing our first semester. See if you can spot me in the video, I’m only in a few pics. And oh, I didn’t make this video…

=Doyin

P.S. Here’s another video I helped my friends make to promote our community service project: Sure Walk, a program that helps students out by walking them home when they’ve stayed out too late. I’m the sure walkee in this video, the star, some might say.

1 Comment to My First Job. Ever.

Nice video. Very intersting! Nice blog.

April 22, 2009
— Helen

photo of Doyin