Archana's Blog

“It smells like nerd in here. I love it.”

Currently listening to: The Perishers – My Heart

And just like that, we’re back in the grind. Spring break usually serves as the semester hump, and now that we’re officially on the other side, it feels like we’re snowballing all the way to May. Except it’s spring, so instead of snowballing, we’re surfing our way in. Much better.

My spring break kicked off the prior Thursday; I organized a SXSW party for the company I work with, Radar.net, and our friends over at HackCollege (whom I met at CES in January). We got off to a rough start (cold and rainy does not work well for an outdoor party) but in the end, the party was a huge hit.

(left to right) Chris Lesinski and Kelly Sutton of HackCollege interview John Poisson (Tiny Pictures CEO)

@fugu and @archram at the Radar.net party

Friday was the official kick-off of SXSW, the annual technology-music-film conference here in Austin. This was my FIRST SXSW experience, and I gotta say, it was perfect. I met a ton of cool people, listened to some fantastic speakers, and hung out with the @’s, a term I lovingly coined for the group of Austin geeks I hang out with. Too much?

I also had the rare opportunity to speak on an interactive panel at SXSW. Four other students and I spoke on a panel called “Blackboards or Backchannels: The Techno-Induced Classroom of Tomorrow.” I’m proud to say that I was the only student on the panel who came from a public university. The panel truly opened my eyes to the future of higher education, and the heated debate that ensued was entirely too enjoyable.

Blackboards or Backchannels panel at SXSW 2009

Answering questions after the panel

Answering questions after the panel

Besides attending panels during the day, SXSW has some awesome parties. I won’t go into detail, but this photo gives you a glimpse into the sheer madness of it all:

Some of the @'s at the Facebook party

Some of the @'s at the Facebook party

My first SXSW (and my entire spring break) were spectacular–I hope yours was, too! You can also check out some of my SXSW videos.

P.S. The title of this post were the first words I said when I entered the Austin Convention Center for SXSW. I was way too excited to be there : )

1 Comment to “It smells like nerd in here. I love it.”

one of my favorite Sx’s ever. rock on, archram!

March 24, 2009
— John Poisson

photo of Archana