Paul's Blog

Scholarships

Applying for scholarships is one of the more frustrating things someone can do. But, it can also be one of the most rewarding as well.

Lately, I’ve been working on a few scholarship and award applications, and it’s interesting that they almost invariably end up costing money to accomplish. Because of my desire to give them my most recent and most impressive work, for example, I end up sending everything the day before it’s due, which means I assess intense overnight delivery fees. I have to print and bind scores for composition awards, which costs quite a pretty penny, too. I have to spend a lot of time working on essays and resumes catered to the facet of my life the scholarship wants to know about, also, which is tricky.

One cool way I’ve found for applying for things like this – and it could be anything, scholarships, awards, even schools – is using the iDVD application on Mac, or its Windows equivalent, and making a DVD resume. This is especially useful for artists of any capacity; you put video performances, audio recordings of performances or compositions, images of your resume or your art, and you convey your sense of design through the stylization of the menus. I just made one for this scholarship designed to help LGBT students called the Point Foundation; it’s pretty intense.

Of course, getting scholarships is tricky. I got a few going into college, but I’m not on any form of a scholarship from the university, which is very hard to cope with sometimes considering the amount of PR I help produce. (It’s OK, Office of Public Affairs – I got a cool camera for doing this project and it’s actually fun. I’m talking about the choir trips all over the place to recruit students, the statewide LGBT events, Ransom Notes tours, etc.) The important part is to not get frustrated and keep plugging away, even when unsuccessful.

Which is pretty true about almost everything in college, really. :-P

3 Comments to Scholarships

Hello, Paul,
My name is Anthony, and I am a Women’s and Gender Studies Student here. I would like to get more involved with UT life outside of academics now that I have had a time span to integrate myself into the community, being a freshman. I really want to get involved with the Queer Student Alliance and was wondering if you could let me know what I need to do and the basics of the operation. Also, I have to say studying electronic music composition must be awesome. Well, hope to hear from you.

boysforpele1989@yahoo.com

Anthony

March 10, 2009
— Anthony Chapa

Hi Paul! It’s your HS counselor. I couldn’t believe it when I saw your picture on the student blog site! WOW! My daughter is a senior this year and is torn between UT and SMU (with much $ in SMU scholarships of course). She has been accepted into the engineering dept. but is rethinking that major if she goes to UT. We looked at the mechanical eng. degree plan and it looked scary! She is interested in the Geoscience dept. (Environmental Science and Sustainability). Is it hard to switch majors at UT? Hope to hear from you! Update me on how you major is going. Mrs. Kempf

April 12, 2009
— Cindy Kempf

did you ever feel like just giving up?

May 30, 2009
— vanessa guerra

photo of Paul