Cecilia's Blog

The Results are In!

After two weeks of campaigning, two weeks of carrying a table across campus, waking up earlier than usual, and wearing the same shirt for days and days in a row (trust me, the last three days was BAD, wearing a white T-shirt for three days in a row really isn’t a good idea, but it was all worth it!).

Voting for Student Government closed on Wednesday at 5 p.m. At 8 p.m. Amanda, Aaditya, Jimmy and I went to the Tower along with dozens of others waiting for the results to be announced. Results were supposed to come in at 8 p.m. but they weren’t announced until close to 9 p.m. So the anxiety was building. It was really, really, exciting to be surrounded by everyone who had been involved in all of the campaigns and the candidates, many of whom I know and are good friends of mine. It was definitely a warm atmosphere, in which all we could do was smile although we were nervous and anxious to hear what the results were.

This year was the second highest in voter turn out. The highest was in 2004, the first year that voting took place online. So hearing that to me was already exciting enough–students had come out to vote! And it felt so good to have been part of the process of erasing some of that apathy and promoting the importance of voting during these elections.

And then the results started to come in. Finally the results for University Wide Representative positions (8 of them) were announced: of the eight, Amanda was third in receiving the highest number of votes–after Justin and Minator. They did it! We did it! They are three of our eight newly elected Representatives! All that we had done had been worth it and it was satisfying.

Then it was time for the results in the President/Vice President race. And that was when I jumped, screamed, and probably left Jimmy deaf. Liam and Shara received 63 percent of the votes and with that, they became our new Student Body President and Vice President. At a much different scale, it took me back to Nov. 4 when although I knew that there was a high possibility that Barack Obama would become president-elect, I was still anxious and nervous. So when the results came in, I was ecstatic. I’ve known Liam for a year now and he is probably one of the most humble, good-hearted students I’ve ever met, and I don’t mean that lightly. I think that even if you don’t know Liam and you saw him on election night on Wednesday, you could agree with me by seeing his reaction, almost in disbelief to the results and definitely the warmth that he transmitted during each “congratulations” he received. I can’t think of anyone as experienced and with the character that Liam has to follow Keshav’s (our current SG President) footprints.

This election was definitely one to remember and along with Wednesday night, they have become one of the most memorable moments of my experiences at UT thus far. I am now so glad that I got involved, that I contributed, and that along with others, encouraged our fellow Longhorns to get out the vote.

To see all of the results for this year’s election, visit: www.utsg.org

This week’s highlights:

-I got accepted into Pi Sigma Alpha–the Government Honor Society. We had our induction dinner last night

-The results are also in for the three exams I took and papers I wrote…and the first round was good over all. It’s always a relief to start off strong. Now is time to prepare for round two!

-Campaigning for Amanda, campaigning for Amanda, campaigning for Amanda

-Amanda, Melanie and I went to Embellish to celebrate Amanda’s victory. I rarely (almost never) make time to take care of things like…getting a pedicure. So thanks to Mandy for dragging me with her!

-Went to the Vagina Monologues for the first time on Sunday here on campus. If you have never been, I highly recommend that you do next year! I can’t begin to explain not only how good it was, and how passionate the students involved were, but also how thought-provoking it was.

Coming up:

-Explore UT (Open House) this Saturday! For the third year in a row, I’ll be volunteering for the College of Liberal Arts during their Children’s International Festival and I will also be making paper hats with the UT Student Volunteer Board. More details after Saturday :)

-Hopefully a break this weekend although it will be busy with all that needs to be turned in before Spring Break.

-Speaking of Spring break … coming in a week…how did this happen, so soon?

4 Comments to The Results are In!

Could not agree more with you on elections. :)

March 7, 2009
— Berenice Medellin

Voter turnout was great, but not better than pre-1970s turnout. View this graph and data on election turnout at UT Austin.

March 8, 2009
— Chris Kennedy

Chris- Thank you so much for posting this graph and data! Thank you for making that available. I had not taken a look at any data prior to the 2000s. I based it off the charts shown during election night that only showed voter turnout in recent years. I agree that it wasn’t as high when we take into account pre-1970s turnout.

March 9, 2009
— Cecilia

that’s so cool, why didn’t you run?

May 7, 2009
— Briana

photo of Cecilia