Archana's Blog

Like a Tilted Balance Beam

Currently listening to: Teitur – I Was Just Thinking

The thick of the semester is upon us – I opened my planner and was struck by a wave of panic: tests, quizzes, papers, meetings, deadlines deadlines and oh yes, more deadlines.

College is busy like a bee, folks. A good college experience is a tilted balance of work and fun, fun and work. That being said, I cannot think of anyone who has always handled the balance perfectly. There will be some weeks where it’s all work and no play. Or a semester or two where 6th Street becomes your second home.

My freshman year was 85% study, and I do not regret it. It was what was right for me at the time – the horror of “you must get a 100 in everything or you will never succeed” was still hammered into me from high school. Awesome, right? Not even close.

Something will always have to be sacrificed in order to get everything done. Sometimes it’s fun; sometimes it’s school; often times, though, it’s sleep. I really look forward to the weekends when I don’t put an alarm on.

You will face the myriad of responsibilities with a flight or fight reaction:

• Flight: Constantly complain about your workload. Guess what? Everybody is busy. Everybody has it tough. It’s OK to complain a little, but if you’re looking for pity, there isn’t anyone looking to give you any. Welcome to the real world, kids, where the weak do not survive. Harsh, but true.
  • Fight: Man up and face your challenges head on. Prioritize, grab a cup of joe and go go go!

I was (embarrassingly) in “flight” mode last week – I called up one of my friends, slightly hysterical at life. By sheer chance, I wandered upon a sanctuary of sorts on campus, plopped down on the ground, and wrote a to-do list of things to complete. What a difference an-acre-of-land-on-a-really-pretty-day-and-getting-things-done can make.

We’ve all got nine class days ahead as professors try cramming in everything before the long awaited SPRING BREAK! Good luck to everyone!

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato –

3 Comments to Like a Tilted Balance Beam

Do you do extracurricular activities? If so, how do you make time for everything? I understand the workload that college places on you but between school and the dorm it seems you would have a lot of time left. Well, that’s just me because it’s easy for me to put aside social time. OK, maybe a little easy. IDK. I’m officially nervous.

March 5, 2009
— Amber

I do, Amber, thanks for asking. Officially, I’m involved with Texas Ventures, the university’s entrepreneurship organization. I also have three jobs, do social media consulting, job interviews, etc. So it’s not just homework and dorm, thankfully!

You’re also right – it can be easy to put aside social time, especially when you want to succeed in your studies. Even as a senior, I still sometimes feel pressured to put aside the books and play instead. I wanted to paint a picture that college can be tricky – a Longhorn just needs to stay strong and power through.

There is NO need to be nervous – UT is a blast! You will thrive off of being busy, both with school and fun. These have been the best years of my life thus far, Amber. You are in for an adventure : )

March 6, 2009
— Archana

WOW!!!! i am scared now lol…………..but is it ALL worth it

August 27, 2009
— aliyah

photo of Archana