Archana's Blog

The Beginning of the End

Currently listening to: Landon Pigg – Can’t Let Go

Today marks the beginning of the end. My last 10 days of college. Can I panic yet?

I’ve slept less this month than I have this whole semester – but never had I had so much fun either. Allow me to share some of what I’ve been up to:

• Austin’s an outdoor city – Spring has sprung in Austin, and it is lovely. The magnificent, sweltering heat that Austin is known for has not set in yet; we’re able to sit comfortably outside and take in the views around campus.
  • Mount Bonnell – There was a meteor shower around 4 a.m. during the week, so my friends and I headed up to Mount Bonnell to escape the city lights and catch a glimpse. I don’t recommend staying up until 6 a.m. as a regular bedtime; the next day was a bit rough.
  • Spazmatics – I waited too long to check out this awesome 1980s cover band. They play in downtown Austin every Wednesday, and you revel in singing classic hits like “99 Luftballoons” and “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” at the top of your lungs.
  • Kayaking – Another happy byproduct of the fantastic weather. I went kayaking on Town Lake and had a blast – I recommend this as a date for all you Longhorn lovers out there.
  • The Blanton Museum of Art – The museum has a “Birth of Cool” exhibition this semester that does not fail to inspire. The museum is on the edge of campus and free for UT students, so you have no good excuse not to check it out!
  • Group meetings – At the beginning of each semester, all the professors in all the departments hold a giant meeting and collectively decide to make all group projects due on the same day! I kid, I kid. But group projects have taken over my life in a good way (PR and Advertising kids, you know what I’m talking about!)
  • Allergies – I’ve lived in Austin for the better part of my life and have been spared of those dreadful allergies… up until last week. It was a miserable experience, exacerbated only by the furious rubbing of my eyes to relieve the pain. I am thankful for those sweet, sweet allergy medications.

Back to the looming issue of graduation…

I think it’s a universal feeling for us seniors to experience sadness, fear, and joy when we imagine that in a month, we will no longer be UT students. While it’s not all fun and games (read: now!) the entire experience is glorious: the ideas you learn, the people you met, the feelings you experience. Yes, we will miss this everyday.

I selected a couple tweets from my Twitter feed to capture the wavering feelings of senioritis and the joy of being a UT student.

The realization:

The fed up:

The nostalgia:

The (still) responsible:

The reality:

The fear (and humor):

The sweet sadness:

The memories:

The truth, everyday:

2 Comments to The Beginning of the End

Archana, I’m a high school junior, but I’m so looking forward to experiencing UT and majoring in advertising. Your blog has really given me the best insight to the school I could get.
Congrats on making it through four years and good luck in everything you do!

May 6, 2009
— Ali

Hey Ali – you are absolutely going to love UT! I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed reading my blog – and hopefully the other 7 blogs as well!

If you ever have any questions about UT life, please feel free to email me at: archana.ram.archana@gmail.com (I will chat your ear off about UT and its perfection!)

May 10, 2009
— Archana

photo of Archana