Eva's Blog

From Southeast to Northwest Austin!

Over the past month or so, I have been taking occasional breaks from studying, working and BLOGGING to move from one apartment to another during what has been one of my busiest semesters so far.

The first apartment: Southeast Austin (E. Oltorf street). I’m not sure if this counts as “Riverside,” but it’s close enough. Though I only lived here a short time, roughly four months, I quickly found that this area of town lives up to its reputation. I don’t say that to discourage anyone from moving to East Austin, but I would be lying if I said I always felt 100% safe in the time I spent here.

The apartment itself was great — high ceilings, great shower, an overall nice setup. But I couldn’t stand the neighbors! Whether it was blasting music, leaving Miller Lite bottles scattered around the parking lot every weekend, or their visitors honking their car horns at 3 a.m., this living experience was a far cry from the quiet neighborhood on Capitol Hill I inhabited just months before.

Just a quick glimpse of how chaotic the living room looked about a month ago:

Fast-forward a few weeks, and the living room at the new apartment (or at least half of it) looks like this:

Clearly, I’m a lot happier in the new apartment. I’m enjoying having a working fireplace (even though there may be only a week or two where Austin will be cold enough to use it), a balcony to safely secure my bike, and plenty of extra space. The neighborhood is clean, quiet, and not nearly as unpleasant as the last. Even the picture quality is better!

My old apartment’s lease is up this Thursday, but thankfully I’m 95% moved in — just need to find a new home for my old loveseat couch and I’m squared away. I’m not sure how I managed to move in the middle of the semester without spontaneously combusting (or allowing my grades to drop), but at least it’s over. Now, if I can just focus on enjoying the rest of my junior year in college…

I’ll keep you posted on finals,

Hook ‘em!

photo of Eva