Cecilia's Blog

Finding Balance- A Note on Weekends

It is no surprise that as soon as Sunday comes around we are already looking forward to the weekend. Or well, maybe if not Sunday definitely by the middle of the week.

The past two weeks I had exams but I made sure to take some time to do something different over the weekend or perhaps, my attempt to find balance in all the things that many of us have going on throughout the week (and sometimes even into the weekend).

Two weekends ago I had what I thought was by far one of my most balanced weekends, perhaps because I did the things that I love the most.

It started with Friday, after I took my American Literature midterm exam. That night Jimmy and I went to the Alamo Drafthouse downtown and watched Slumdog Millionaire. Yes, the good reviews are true and it definitely deserves the awards- so rent it, now that it’s out on DVD! Both for Jimmy and I was our first time at the Drafthouse so it was a cool experience. At the Alamo Drafthouse you can order food while you watch the movie and the set up of the theater is unique as it has long narrow tables built into each row. If you have an Alamo Drafthouse nearby, definitely go to experience it and if you come to school in Austin, don’t wait three years like me to check it out!

Check mark one for balance this weekend: Spending quality time, with the ones you care the most about while exploring something new.

I was able to volunteer during Project Reach Out (PRO) for the very first time! Although I have been involved with the UT Student Volunteer Board for the last three years, I had yet to be able to make it to PRO, our bi-annual day of service.  Rolling out of bed by 9 a.m. on a Saturday is no easy job, but with Janice being outside waiting for me by then, I had no excuses. We went to East Austin to conduct a beautification project at a home. We, along with 15 other volunteers, were assigned a home in East Austin which we painted and did some garden work.

So check mark number two for balance this weekend: Find time to do the things you enjoy the most!

Afterward, Jimmy, Anna, and I went out for lunch at Which Which- which I could safely say is my favorite sandwich place on The Drag (Guadalupe Street, right across from campus).

The weather was definitely on our side so Jimmy and I decided to go down the street to the State Capitol. It is literally three blocks from Jester Residence Hall, the place I’ve called “home” the past three years. I had already visited when I first came to UT, but Jimmy never had so we took care of that on that weekend.

Check mark number three: Take a break and go outside! (Tip: there are so many endless things to do that are absolutely free that you can enjoy around campus, that you should definitely take advantage of- checking out the Capitol is one of them!)

To make my day even better than it already was, I saw Regina and Pearl – two of my closest friends since freshman year- and I got to hang out with them for a while even though at the library because of the exams we had coming up.

Check mark number four: No matter where it is, you can find time to spend with friends that some times you don’t get to see too often because of the every day hectic-ness…even if it is at the library, on a Saturday night.

The House Chambers

The House Chambers

Jimmy and me inside the Capitol...

Jimmy and me inside the Capitol...

View from Capitol down Congress

View from the Capitol down Congress

1 Comment to Finding Balance- A Note on Weekends

hey, thanks for letting me see pics of austin, a city i haven’t seen in years! i live all the way out here in dallas, i hate being so far away from my family and home, but you just made my day by posting those pics!

May 7, 2009
— Briana

photo of Cecilia