Eva's Blog

Finals, funding and friends: The End of Year #2

Well, my friends — as fun as it’s been blogging about Washington D.C., SXSW, switching apartments and study abroad this year, all good things must come to an end. The following are some closing thoughts for my final blog post.

This year has been a crazy ride. Whether it was casually bumping into George Stephanopolous at ABC, cramming in between classes to make that perfect 4.0, or finally meeting the other Longhorn Confidential bloggers in-person during our get-togethers, I can’t possibly think of a better second year experience. Here’s why:

+ I’ve made more friends. Now that I’ve grown up from being an introverted freshman, being social is much easier.

+ Unlike my first year, I didn’t live on campus and therefore spent less time bound to the UT campus area. Don’t get me wrong, the campus area is great, but learning more about Austin is a new experience in and of itself.

+ On a related note, living off-campus has been far more enjoyable for me than when I lived at the San Jacinto dormitory for my first year. More privacy, space, freedom and an overall nice change of scenery!

+THE EXPERIENCES, which I’ve blogged about in great detail, in addition to those I wasn’t able to mention. I have found memories of waiting in a horrendously long lines for the opening nights of “Watchmen” and “Star Trek,” trying out a slew of Austin eateries, spending Easter with my family, winning scholarship funding (hence my title), and peddling my way down Lady Bird Lake.

+ And, of course, not making any B’s this year has been great. :-)

Since finals have been over, I’ve been in a limbo where I have either been cleaning my apartment like a madman or entertaining guests. Today I am frantically reading through pre-departure materials and trying to adequately prepare myself for my trip to China this FRIDAY. I am anxious, reluctant, nervous and overwhelmed at the same time.

Even though this is sure to be an incredible experience, I am nervous and overwhelmed about my remaining responsibilities here in Austin. Leaving for China to study foreign reporting will not change the fact that I still have to register for a Spanish class, keep tabs on my financial aid status, and begin a new job just a matter of days after I arrive in Austin. The presence of so many responsibilities makes it hard for me to imagine actually enjoying myself.

But with all things, all I can do is work hard, pull through and make the most of the situation life hands me!

Here’s to an even better year #3,

Eva (eva.romero@mail.utexas.edu)

Hook ‘em!!

May 27, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post

2 Comments to Finals, funding and friends: The End of Year #2

Eva,

I enjoyed reading your blogs. You certainly had an interesting year. Take care while in China and I look forward to a warm embrace upon your safe return. Like the Longhorns, you’re #1!

Osvaldo Romero

May 30, 2009
— Osvaldo Romero

is being a sophmore harder than being a freshman?

August 27, 2009
— aliyah

photo of Eva