Joseph's Blog

That’s all folks!

So this is it. The end of the first year of college. First year of the best years of my life done.

Besides the actual academic learning, I’ve learned a lot this past year. College life matures you. It’s not high school. Maybe it’s the fact that I have to do my own laundry. I learned there is no such thing as a blow-off class. I learned that you can make it from south campus to RLM in seven minutes if you power walk. I learned that if you want to attract attention, just offer free pizza or T-shirts. It’s been a whole new experience. A little taste of the real world, but I’m still not there yet.

Even being an engineering major, there is so much to college than school. The amount of people you meet, the activities organized, and the school spirit are all Texan big. I love just kickin’ it somewhere on campus to relax before a class. It seems that people these days don’t appreciate life enough to just sit on a bench and enjoy the flowers. After my first year, I’m very pleased with college, and I can only guess what’s gonna happen in the next three years.

Some final thoughts on Austin… there is a quirkiness here that other large cities don’t have. At first I laughed at “Keep Austin Weird.” Now I know. A small town feel but with lots of people. Family-run businesses line the streets. Street performers along the Drag. Live music shows in literally every part of Austin. And did I mention food. Comfort food, Mexican food, Chinese food, Texas barbecue, Austin’s got it all. Honestly, the food here is just too good.

I appreciate all of you who have commented and followed this blog. It’s been a lot of fun blogging for the university, especially giving prospective students an inside look. I’d like to thank Nyleva Corley and the Office of Public Affairs for giving us this opportunity to showcase what The University of Texas at Austin really has to offer. Not to mention the chance for me to meet other bloggers who are all unique in their own ways. If you want more, I also have a personal blog, not associated with the university.

It’s been fun, y’all. Joseph out.

May 19, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to That’s all folks!

Ok so i want to do aerospace engineering too, i just graduated from high school and doing aerospace engineering has always been on my mind…i love it….so can u pls mail me and answer some of my questions???….how the program is done here in UT…please if you can mail me that will be very helpful. thanks :)

July 16, 2011
— Francy

photo of Joseph