Paul's Blog

The View From the Stage

It’s fitting that my semester ended with fireworks; the explosion was the only balanced reaction to the three weeks prior. I am certainly better off after it all, however.

Spring Commencement - May 23, 2009

Spring Commencement - May 23, 2009

May 2 – I performed Beethoven’s 9th Symphony in Bass Concert Hall with the combined choirs of UT Austin and the UT Symphony Orchestra. It was a truly magical evening, and apparently a performance that deserved a nomination for Austin’s best Choral Concert and Symphonic Concert.

May 4 – I performed a program of sacred music with Conspirare Symphonic Choir at St. Matthew’s, which has great acoustics. It was really something.

May 8 – was the last Ransom Notes Concert of the year, and the last concert for many of our seniors. They will be sorely missed.

May 9 – I, along with 10 other young men, were inducted into the UT Austin’s Beta Class of Delta Lambda Phi, a national fraternity for gay, bisexual, and progressive men. It will certainly be a journey for me, becoming a Greek. If you’d have told me a year ago that I would ever be in a Greek organization on campus… just goes to show that you shouldn’t knock it till you’ve tried it. :-)

UT Austin's DLP Beta Class

UT Austin's DLP Beta Class

May 13 – The UT Game Development Showcase, as part of the UT’s first large-scale game development project, was a smash success. All kinds of people came out to look at our work, and it was really fun for everyone to play our games. To play games that I helped develop over the year, just go on to GameSalad.com and search for Pong Basketball, Darkwood or Trapped! In Rube Goldberg’s Room. (NOTE: currently, you need the absolute latest version of Mac OS X to play GameSalad games. This should change eventually, if not soon.)

May 19 – My last final in what ended up being an exceptionally hectic semester. And, even though I felt like I was at the edge of losing control the whole time, I ended up with a 4.0. Just goes to show that hard work and time management are the keys to grades. Well, in the School of Music, at least. :-)

May 23 – Commencement was wonderful, and included a great speech by Robert Rodriguez, acclaimed filmmaker and UT grad. Commencement’s broad scope and incredible spectacle on the South Mall are just more proof to us all that everything really is bigger in Texas.

I hope you have a wonderful summer. If you would like to follow my work as a composer, then become a fan of me on Facebook. If you want to follow my life or know anything at all about UT, the School of Music, the College of Fine Arts, the Bridging Disciplines Program, the Queer Students Alliance, UT’s Colony of Delta Lambda Phi, or Circle K International, then comment on here to ask for my info, and I’ll e-mail you back. Auf wiedersehn from the Forty Acres!

Paul

May 27, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Paul