Sara's Blog

Farrago

Noun: A confused mixture; an assortment; a medley. Ex: I am a farrago.

I feel old this week, perhaps as a consequence of both taking my LSAT and turning 21 on Saturday. We’ll attack those independently of each other. The LSAT, or the Law School Admissions Test, is an exam designed almost exclusively by sadists and taken almost exclusively by masochists. I mitigate my “exclusively” with “almost” because, as I learned from my extensive LSAT preparation, “exclusively” would be considered very strong language and thus hard to validate in an argument. Yes, I have become that girl who spreads her obscure knowledge like it’s remotely useful.

For those of you out there planning to take the LSAT, I recommend a small test beforehand: Poke yourself lightly with a needle. If, thereafter, you’re wondering why you just did that, do not take this test. For those of you who understood, remember that the LSAT is a big mind game. They allow you a single Ziploc bag within which you place a limited range of items: pencils, eraser, a snack, water, a watch, your admission ticket and government-issued ID. The room is always freezing; you can’t wear a sweater with a hood; and the proctors read the instructions aloud to you like you’re five years old.

Despite that, I think it went well.

My 21st birthday began after 1:30 p.m. when I left the testing room. It consisted of rushing around and eating lots of food with different people, which I always enjoy. My parents wanted to Skype with me while I opened the gift they mailed, and my mother was completely floored by the eminent Skype technology, saying “Oh my god, I can SEE you!” as she tried to move her head into the screen without quite realizing it involved the webcam on her own laptop. She’s cute. Also, my friends and I cut a cake, and I think there were trick candles on it. I certainly hope they were trick candles, anyway, because if not then my Cardiovascular Weight Training class is not doing its job, and I need to increase my lung capacity.

But no, I did not go downtown on my 21st birthday, which, as my brother (and nearly everyone else I know) pointed out, is exceedingly “lame.” Whatever that actually means.

September 24, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post

2 Comments to Farrago

Hi my name is destiny and i’m considering going to UT and i have LOTS of questions (lol i won’t overload u) and if you don’t mind please email me its destinyp1995@gmail.com

December 5, 2009
— Destiny

Same with me, my name is Natalie and I’m planning on coming to UT from Ontario, and I would like to take plan II honours as well so I think I can relate to you. I haven’t seen any other blogger that comes from Canada so I’d really appreciate you contacting me :)

April 26, 2010
— Natalie

photo of Sara