Saul's Blog

Change Institute and the Impending Doom of No More Pledges

This last weekend I attended the Change Institute. The Change Institute is an annual retreat that the GLIE (Greek Life and Intercultural Education) office holds. It focuses on various social justice topics such as racism, sexism, and classism among others.

The camp was held at Camp Young Judea in Wimberly, TX this year. The campsite was amazing. They had a huge playground with swings, a zipline, a chessboard with pieces the size of parking cones, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

I’m glad I went on this camp because I got to meet a lot of new people and make some good friends. I also got a chance to meet a lot of administrators within the GLIE office which is good because those are the same people I will talk to about Greek affairs. My favorite part of the camp would have to be playing improv games with the rest of the campers late at night. One of the campers, Colin, is in the Giggle Pants improv troop so he brought some cool improv games with him. Whenever someone messed up, instead of kicking them out everyone would just run into the circle and yell “AAArugah!”… it made no sense, but it was absolutely hilarious.

Through the retreat I was able to find out a lot about how our nation has dealt with these issues historically. Another great part of the camp was hearing other people’s stories. I feel that is one of the most important parts to learning and greater understanding. All in all, I would highly encourage anyone who gets the chance to attend the Change Institute. It’s a free three day program held every year in the fall and any registered member of any student organization is eligible. I found out through an e-mail from SALD (Student Activities and Leadership Development).

Shifting gears, pledgeship is almost over! My oh my, where has the time gone? Me and my brother Vincent were talking the other day about what we’re gonna do once pledgeship is over. How will the fraternity function without pledges? I guess we’ll all just have to pool our effort together and learn how to live on our own again… or just wait until the Spring, lol. It’s been a long and interesting experience as Sigma Pi pledge trainer this semester, but I intend to finish strong and we have a great ending in store for our pledges; a huge highlighter/blacklight party. It’s gonna be great, and honestly, they deserve it.

On another note, one of my favorite bands is coming to Austin on Friday! Cartel. They are playing at Emo’s this Friday and I intend to be there. I’m so glad I live in Austin now. When I lived in Edinburg, like seriously no one/big names, at least not musically, would come to town. It sucked; we had to drive 4 hours to San Antonio if we ever wanted to see anyone.

Before I go, did I mention Texas won again? No surprise against Baylor, this week we’re playing Kansas and a couple of friends are coming up to visit me. I’m looking forward to this weekend and especially the upcoming Thanksgiving break. As always, feel free to leave any comments/suggestions or ideas about anything you may want me to write more about. Ttyl

November 19, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Saul