Victoria's Blog

“Focus” Group

Toward the end of every semester, there comes a time when you start to feel the pressure of school. It happens very subtlety, and can go almost undetected. Then something clicks in your mind, and you realize school is almost over, at least for a few weeks.

This semester my moment came as I was conducting the last focus group for a group project. The class is CMS 367 also known as Communication Research Methods, taught by Dr. Stroud. Now I must admit I only registered for the class because it fit nicely into my schedule, but it has turned out to be one of the most useful classes I have taken at UT. I never really realized that research happens outside of engineering and natural science, so CMS 367 really opened my eyes to a whole new world.

For our final project I and my wonderful group members Brittany Dawn and Casey conducted focus groups to discover ways that the Capital Area Food Bank of Central Texas can better market to college students. So even if the project was a total disaster, I can at least say I conducted research for a non-profit while in college. And I got to take advantage of some of the College of Communications media equipment that my tuition pays for. I also learned that research is no joke in college, no matter what your major is. So many consent forms, and rules, and governing boards, etc. I am just happy that it was an undergraduate class. I can only imagine how intense graduate level research is. Actually, I just might find out one day, who knows.

December 2, 2009 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Victoria