Bobbi's Blog

Course Round-Up

Listening to: Leyenda — Michael Boyd

MDR,

This post might alternatively be titled “Admitting Defeat.” The second week of classes is nearly over. It hasn’t gone quite as I expected — but when does anything?

So here’s the final tally of courses and my thoughts on them.

Social Work (Generalist Practice) — I think I’m going to enjoy this class. The reading alternates between dull and hysterical — for example, in today’s reading, I encountered the sentence, “Critical thinking is the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better.” Couldn’t be more clear, could it? (She says with raised eyebrows.) Aside from that, I have no complaints. After all, I DO want to be a social worker.

Bio 309F (Human Heredity) — I admit, I went into this class skeptical. I’m not really a huge fan of the sciences. I was wrong about this course though. It is proving to be quite interesting and possibly even relevant. My only problem is that we keep talking about bacteria, which I KNOW is a good thing, but FEEL is a bad thing. Still — I have my extra large bottle of Germ-X, so I’m ready!

MYTH! Music Makes You Smarter (UGS Course) — UGS courses should be retitled “Intro to College for the Academically Impaired.” Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE the material in this course. The course is based around the 1993 study of the Mozart Effect. We’re talking about research, which is something I read about for fun. We’re talking about music, which is something I practice daily. And yet, this class has me wanting to pull out my hair. Why? Because more than research or music, we’re talking about where the library is and how to use the UT website. Had I taken the class last semester when I was actually new, it might not have bothered me, but if we don’t move into some real discussion soon, I may well go even crazier than I already am.

Comparative Lit (20th c. Drama) — This is easily my favorite class. It’s an upper division lit class with Dr. Richmond-Garza. I had to get instructor permission to be let in because I am only a Freshman, and I almost didn’t ask because I didn’t think I had a shot. I am SO glad that I did! I am devouring the readings and discussions of plays — so much so that I actually auditioned for one a few nights ago. As for the class… I could stay in it all day.

Intro to Communication Disorders — What? This isn’t ballet, you might be thinking. Weren’t you going to take ballet? The short answer to that is yes, I was, and I’m not anymore. The long answer goes back to my alternative title for this post. I did sign up for a ballet class. Bought the leotard and tights, even. And then realized that it was not a class for beginners and that I was really quite a horrible ballerina. With more practice, I’m sure I could have stayed in the course. But I decided that it wasn’t worth it. I wasn’t great — not even good. I knew it. That made me self-conscious and miserable — and no one should be miserable while dancing. So, I’m taking Communication Disorders instead. It is a class that presents its own challenges, but I am fascinated by the lectures and I think it will prove useful in the future.

That’s it for now. Classes have me working my tail off already. I also have a few side projects up my sleeve this semester. Tonight, I leave you with these thoughts: Take your UGS class in your first semester. Don’t be afraid to ask for permission to take something you really want. Part of being an adult is knowing your limitations — respect them, and you may get exactly what you need.

Until Next Time,

Bobbi

January 28, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Course Round-Up

What is a UGS class?

April 20, 2010
— Kim

photo of Bobbi