Victoria's Blog

Nervous?

So today was the first day of the spring semester and that means I have about two days left of peaceful living. Even after 15 years of first days of school, I still get that feeling in my stomach when I walk into a class for the first time. Will I like the professor? Will I like the class? Heck, will I like the people in the class with me? These are all things that run through my mind the first couple days of school. Unfortunately, there is only one way to find out — go to class.

This semester is much different from the last for several reasons. The most obvious is that I am taking different classes. This semester I will be enrolled in 4 classes for a total of 14 hrs. I am continuing to take sign language and taking three communication studies classes. But the real madness added this semester is a very delicate application for a special program called “The Archer Program” that gives UT students the chance to work and take classes in Washington, D.C., as an undergrad.

The reason why the application is so delicate is because the program is very competitive to get into, and there is no guarantee of your admittance into it. So until February 19th, I will be living and breathing the application. A detailed one page resume, letters of recommendation, personal statements and a policy essay. The sad part is that I won’t have a decision on my application until April! But the wait will be more than worth it if I am selected. I can only imagine living in D.C. for an entire semester, and getting valuable work experience. Once April comes, I will be sure to blog about how happy or sad I am. Wish me luck!

January 19, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Nervous?

Hope you were admitted to the Archer Program. I have a totally random question & I’m asking you since you’re in the Communications School and my daughter will be a freshman who’s been accepted into the Advertising program. I think I’m turning into a neurotic mother & never thought I’d cross that line. Anyway, she’s planning on living on campus but is terrified she’ll be assigned Jester, so is considering the Castillian, but their cafeteria closes @ 7 p.m. – so no late-night studying options. Do you have any recommendations for a smooth freshman year housing transition? All girls vs. co-ed? She didn’t apply for housing ’til March because UT was her safety school, but she does have a “contract.” Thanks for your feedback!

April 8, 2010
— Kim

photo of Victoria