Manuel's Blog

It’s ok… I’m an architecture student…

This is a funny little thing us architecture students do all the time. I’m not sure if it’s just us or if it happens at every other school, but either way I think it’s hilarious. This is how the story goes:

Every semester we are given a site to work with; it may be an empty parking lot or an existing building that we can imagine will be demolished so that our design can take its place. Before any designing begins we research the site and try to understand it as best as we can, part of the research is going out to the site and walking around while observing its characteristics. Here’s where the funny part comes in… sometimes our sites include restricted areas such as private offices, construction zones, and in this case, UT’s Pickle Research Center. I’m not sure who exactly is allowed to enter the center, but as we approached the guard at the entrance the first thing that came into our minds was “tell them we’re architecture students at UT.” We all started laughing because it is the first thing we always think of as we approach a site. Well… it worked! We got into the center with no problem, with the exception of being asked to no take pictures, but other than that we were good.

In conclusion, being an architecture student has gotten me and my peers into many places that others would find quite difficult to get into. It’s a pretty nice perk above all the exclusive tours and field trips we take.

Who said architecture wasn’t fun?..

4 Comments to It’s ok… I’m an architecture student…

Waw, being an architect is the first luck of the world.

March 19, 2010
— sara amare

Hello,
I’m from Arlington, TX, and I’m a junior in high school and I’m very interested to attend UT. I see that you are a architecture student and I will like to be one too. Do you have any advice for me to get prepared?

April 13, 2010
— Jorge

Jorge,

I’m glad to hear that you are interested but as far as advice, that’s a bit of a tricky subject. Since you are still a junior I would recommend looking at Bealonghorn.com and looking at the information they provide. If you are eligible you may be able to visit the campus through SHARE. If you happen to visit through any of the SHARE events ask to speak to Manuel and hopefully they will direct you my way for advice.

hope this helps.

Manuel

April 18, 2010
— Manuel

I know exactly what you mean, Manuel! I’m a student at New School or Architecture (it’s in San Diego) and we get to visit research centers pretty often. It’s great!

March 2, 2012
— Sarah

photo of Manuel