Saul's Blog

(In the words of that Rolaids Guy): UT spells OPPORTUNITY

This past weekend I was lucky enough to go to TULW, the Texas Union Leadership Weekend retreat. I say lucky because there were many applicants, but only 30 were selected. We went to this place called T-Bar M Ranch or something like that.

The purpose of the camp was to bring together student leaders for a weekend of fun and learning. We had workshops on things like creating a vision, motivation, goal setting, and ethics to name a few. My favorite part of the camp was simply getting to meet everyone. There were 29 other really cool people there this weekend and I’m glad I was a part of it. This is just another example of why I love Texas so much. There are just boundless opportunities here. I would not have even known about the retreat had it not been for a Facebook event my friend invited me too.

Here at UT, opportunities are everywhere, you just have to go out and find them. Read signs, posters, LCD monitors, apply to stuff you’re not sure about getting accepted to… that’s what it’s all about. I had a great time this weekend doing things like zip lining, rock wall climbing, hiking, cabin camping, making s’mores over a campfire, and meeting a bunch of new people simply because I took a few minutes to fill out an application that was available to any student here on campus.

Taking advantage of opportunities like that is what lead me to become an orientation adviser this past summer, rush Sigma Pi last year, get accepted to the Sport Management program, create my own student organization, etc… it really makes your time here on campus worthwhile and more fulfilling, so I just wanna encourage everyone to do the same.

Oddly enough, I’m going on another retreat this weekend. It’s called GLR, Greek Leadership Retreat, and it’s a mandatory retreat for new and experienced leaders within the Greek community. It’s a student run camp and it runs from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. This back to back camping weekend thing wasn’t intentional, but I’m not complaining. There’s nothing better than spending a weekend with complete strangers, haha.

Moving to academics, I finally got through my first round of tests, thank goodness. I don’t know why all my professors like to put their tests about every fourth week of class, but it is what it is. The only one that worries me is my E316K test. In the words of my buddy Alex, “Idk man, I could’ve either made an A or an F” lol. At this point in the semester I’m just trying to make sure I stay on top of all my daily readings that way I’m not cramming too hardcore pretest time. We’re definitely in the thick of the semester and there’s still a lot to go so I’m taking the marathon approach.

I’m about to go pick my car up from the shop so I’ll ttyl later. As always, feel free to drop any comments or e-mails.

p.s. that is not an emoticon in the title ;)

1 Comment to (In the words of that Rolaids Guy): UT spells OPPORTUNITY

From a former LC blogger and fellow TULWer… I couldn’t agree more with your post, Saul! I am glad you had the opportunity to participate in this experience and that you are encouraging others to go after opportunities- they are out there, we just have to be on the look out and take advantage of them!

March 1, 2010
— Cecilia

photo of Saul