Evelyn's Blog

John Mayer, 7.5 years in the waiting

In August 2002 (my freshman year at UT), I had tickets to see John Mayer at The Backyard, a FANTASTIC outdoor music venue. My friend Megan and I were stoked about going to a big concert our first week in Austin. Well… then we joined Longhorn Band, had rehearsal all week and had to sell our tickets. Of course, being in Longhorn Band was a much more rewarding experience than one concert, but I have been waiting YEARS to see John Mayer!

So last night, my dreams finally came true! I attended my first huge concert at the Erwin Center (where the basketball teams play). Michael Franti and Spearhead was the opening act — WONDERFUL! Then came my dear John Mayer….. the show was very exciting, and he performed many of his new songs (which I hate to say I didn’t know!). The crowd had a great time, and he made lots of weird faces/comments. 

This concert has really inspired me to get back into music. After playing violin for 7 years, piano for 8 and clarinet for 10, the past few years have been…. well, lacking creativity! I’m hoping that in my last year of graduate school, I can learn a new instrument. LHC readers — what should I learn? Guitar? Piano again? Saxophone? Too many options….

I love living in a city where there is great music! Now my other big dream is to attend a taping of Austin City Limits which is filmed on our campus….. UT COMMUNITY:  Who can help me out with this goal of getting tickets to an ACL taping?

Michael Franti and Spearhead (along with some members of the crowd)

IMGP2782

JOHN! Not bad seats, I must say!

IMGP2803

ZOOM IN!

IMGP2825

photo of Evelyn