Manuel's Blog

Portfolio, Review, Spring Break!!

Because I’m at such a great university I am offered the opportunity to take 7 months off of school to intern at a firm of my choice. That’s right 7 months of getting paid while still getting credit for my courses, pretty nice deal and I couldn’t resist!

I’ve been working on a portfolio that I have to submit to the school. They will, in turn, submit it to the firm that I choose. It’s a complicated application process and there are many factors that influence whether you get hired or not, but my odds are looking favorable and I’m excited to know if I’ll get accepted or not. So yea, this thing has taken up just about all of my free time for like 2 weeks. Crazy stuff, just yesterday I spent about 6 hours trying to get it printed perfectly, that’s right 6 hours. It has to be perfect because even the slightest inconsistency or mistake can make the difference between getting hired or not. That’s just architecture for you…

On another note, I have my mid-review tomorrow! For those who don’t know what a mid-review is, a mid-review is similar to a mid-term. Architecture students don’t get tested or graded like everyone else. We just work, work and work until the end of the semester with mid-reviews and pin-ups that check the progress of our project. During these reviews we are critiqued and we are to take those critiques to better our project. So yea, mid-review tomorrow so we’ll see how that turns out. My group had been doing well all semester but it seems like we’ve fallen a bit behind in the last couple of days. Oh well, we’ll pull through… I hope.

One more thing… Spring Break this week!!! Most of my peoples are going to Puerto Rico this year! Only if I had the funds to join them… oh well, maybe next year.

Until next post!

photo of Manuel