Victoria's Blog

Rodeo

I don’t consider myself a cowgirl by any means, but every year something takes over local Texans and we are transformed into Western women and men. This event is known as the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. If you haven’t heard of it, it is just the largest rodeo in the country.

Being a native Houstonian, I have enjoyed the rodeo for many years. It is now a family tradition that every year we go to the rodeo. What makes the experience so much more unique is that my mom does identify with being “country” whereas the rest of the family identifies with being “urban.” This causes great compromise because the rodeo ends every night with a live musical performance. So every year my family has to debate who will go and see. This year we went to see Grammy Winner Mary J. Blige. She was nothing short of amazing and we added to yet another year of great rodeo memories.

And no rodeo is complete without two things: FUNNEL CAKE AND TURKEY LEGS.┬áTo be fair, there is a rodeo in Austin, but honestly it doesn’t compare to the Houston one. So if you need something to do the rest of March, I highly suggest going to check out the rodeo.

photo of Victoria